Couple of Questions on Dry Hopping

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Starwave

Couple of Questions on Dry Hopping

Post by Starwave » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:47 pm

Hello

I have a brew on the go in the FV and the recipe calls for dry hopping with a few cones of Golding.
The yeast was pitched on Sun and the brew currently has a nice head. I think I should chuck the hops in once the head has died away - is this correct? Trouble is I go away for a week in a couple of days so I'm not sure what to do if there is still a thick head going on. My plan is to bottle the brew when I get back. Could I make some hop tea to pour in when I get back instead of dry hopping to achieve similar results?

cheers

McMullan

Re: Couple of Questions on Dry Hopping

Post by McMullan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:38 pm

You can dry hop at any point post pitching. For your situation, I'd say dry hop when you get back and leave it about 5ish days before bottling. 2-3 weeks on the yeast in going to produce a great beer, especially dry hopped the last week. That said, a few cones ain't much. Is this a GW recipe?

Starwave

Post by Starwave » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:16 pm

Hello

Cheers, I will do that. The brew I've done is a halfway house between London Pride and Fuller's ESB from GW's BYO book. I snaffled some yeast from a couple of bottles of Bengal Lancer (lovely bottle of beer) and judging by other folks' comments on this forum about Fuller's yeast hoping for good things is not too optimistic.
How much Goldings should I bung in do you reckon? It's a 23L brew.

cheers

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:39 pm

Personally I'd use 1 gram per litre.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.