Ready to pick?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
pottolom

Ready to pick?

Post by pottolom » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:36 pm

I bought and planted a First Gold (Prima Donna) rhizome from Willingham Nurseries in March this year and it's grown well against my south-facing wall in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear.

I have just got back from a week-long holiday. When I left, the flowers were just turning into cones. When I returned today I was chuffed to see the plant is now absolutely covered in cones. What I'm not sure about is whether or not they're ready to pick yet (I know you're not supposed to leave it too late?). What I've observed is:

- The cones are quite small at around 2cm long (not really much bigger than my thumbnail, and my hands are on the smaller side). I'm somehow thinking they're supposed to be a bit larger than this (according to the web, First Gold have "medium" sized cones)?
- If I look closely, there's a reasonable amount of sticky, yellow lupulin, and if I scrape it a little with my nail, the oil definitely smells "hoppy", although it's not a strong smell.
- The cones do slowly spring more or less back into shape when I squeeze them, but I wouldn't say they feel papery. They still feel quite "wet" and green.
- The ends of the bracts are slightly brown/red, but I think they were like this when they first formed anyway (?).

I've included some photos for illustration.

So, does anyone in the know think I need to get picking ASAP, or would I be better waiting a while longer?

BeestonHop

Re: Ready to pick?

Post by BeestonHop » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:50 am

I have the same dilemma - exact same hop plant, and they look in exactly the same stage of development.

Anyone advise what the optimum picking time would be?

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:13 pm

I have a wild hop growing in my hedge. I picked today as few cones are starting to turn brown. It's been a poor summer and whilst around 50% of the cones are large a lot are small. Looking at yours and as you're in geordieland which could put you a couple of weeks behind my instinct is if it stays dry and fine I'd wait and let them ripen and hopefully get a bit bigger. If they start to brown that's a sign they've gone too far so pick at the first sign I'd post a picture of mine but I picked and brewed with them this morning. 680 g in a five gallon batch!

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:10 pm

I've picked most of mine, prob another carry bag full to go.

I go by the papery sound when squashed end to end. This is hard to hear if they are wet from rain

I don't think they will get much bigger, as from what I've seen before, they open up more and let the pollen out, and go more bown.

You could always pick 1/2 of them and then the other half a bit later, say in a week or less if you need to. And It's no fun drying wet hops from rain
To Busy To Add,

NOZ
Piss Artist

Post by NOZ » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:42 pm

Do think they will be ok to freeze? as about 1/3 of mine are ripe and the rest still a bit small - i want to use them all in one brew.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:06 pm

NOZ wrote:Do think they will be ok to freeze? as about 1/3 of mine are ripe and the rest still a bit small - i want to use them all in one brew.
Only if you want to use them green, but no more than a couple of weeks. Better off to dry them if not.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

NOZ
Piss Artist

Post by NOZ » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:20 pm

Cheers Scuppeteer - its just short term storage until the whole harvest is available - hopefully a week and a half max as they are all ripening at different times.