One hop for dry hopping?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

One hop for dry hopping?

Post by Sadfield » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:01 pm

Piggybacking on the 'Group Hop Buy' and 'Flexible Hops' has me thinking about the idea of a bulk purchase of a single variety of hop, solely for the use in dry hopping.

Would love to hear people views on this idea in principal. The positive and negative benefits? Hop choice? Leaf or pellet?
Last edited by Sadfield on Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kev93_10
Piss Artist

Re: One hop for dry hopping?

Post by kev93_10 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:02 pm

Pellet for dry hopping.

Always.

K

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:11 pm

Pellets.

Dry hopping is so much about aroma that I'd be looking at the super aromatic hops like Citra, Equinox, although these don't work so well for a porter or stout, they'd be for US pale ales. For everything else I'd suggest Willamette or First Gold.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:27 pm

First Gold is such an awesome uk hop, you can put it in anything.

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:27 pm

Here are my thoughts so far.

Pellets would definetely be the way to go, both for there ease of use and storing.

The advantages of a single hop would be,

Price - £45-55 for 5Kg. Around a penny a gram.
Efficiency - Choosing a hop suited for the job with good levels of volatile aroma oils.
Consistency - It would take one variable out of the very variable process of dry hopping, and would always be dry hopping with pellets.

Disadvantages,

All beers would have the same notes to their aroma, although it would free up other hops for kettle aroma additions. Aroma may clash a little over varying styles.

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:First Gold is such an awesome uk hop, you can put it in anything.
This has piqued my interest, as I was initially thinking along the lines of cascade. FG has a good, even, balance of the three main essential oils (Myrcene, Humulene & Caryophyllene) so would be very versatile. It also would not hurt to have a good supply for their bittering potential, and would fit in with Belgian styles as well as British. Utility hop?

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:23 am

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:First Gold is such an awesome uk hop, you can put it in anything.
I agree, used early or late it's just brilliant. It sits so well with all styles and all yeasts. Will be trying a Green Hop with them next year. :=P
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:59 am

What kind(s) of beer do you plan on brewing, mainly anyway?

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:52 pm

So far, I have brewed,

British pale ales and Bitters.
American pales and IPAs.
Porters and Stouts.
Belgian Saisons, Blondes and Dubbels.
Hefeweizens.

Of the hop forward styles, I try to get as much aroma as possible from late kettle additions. Which is why I am wondering whether the use of one hop, with a good balance of essential oils, would work as a good compliment and boost to kettle additions, be them, high alpha American hops or more more restrained, noble european hops. With the advantage of working with a consistent ingredient and potentially a more liberal hand, with the chosen hop being so cheap and in good supply. I feel that dry hopping seems to give a lower return by weight, than boiling or stepping, so not dry hopping with other hops would allow them to be better utilized in the brewing process.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:11 pm

Gotcha. Well, aroma and flavour preferences are deeply personal; above all I'd say use what you like most. Perhaps make a list of hops you've tasted and which beers contained them. Cross-reference that with a list of your favourite beers and which hops they contained. But it's definitely true First Gold ticks most boxes for most people.