A Bushel of Hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
charliemartin
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

A Bushel of Hops

Post by charliemartin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:37 pm

Just bought some hops from A Bushel of Hops. Got some Pilgrim, Goldings and a free (yes, free!) bag of Admiral as a new customer. Quality looks great and should be really fresh. Not too bad a price at £4.00 per 100g.
Haven't used Pilgrim or Admiral before. Does anyone have any recipes or advice about these hops?
Can't wait to brew with these, although I have several recipes lined up to use up my existing hops. Must stop buying hops! :)

Cheers,
Charliemartin
Altonrea Homebrew

BrewerBen

Re: A Bushel of Hops

Post by BrewerBen » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:10 pm

I've just done a Pilgrim/Admiral/Cascade brew (viewtopic.php?f=24&t=74043) with hops from them since seeing the post in the suppliers forum. So far so good. Just dry hopped today and they are very sticky when i give them a rub, smell good too. Pilgrim smells very English and Admiral are a little more citrussy (sorry thats the best your going to get i'm terrible at describing aromas and flavours). I've Not brewed with pilgrim or admiral either so its a bit of a experiment.

Snap :-)

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Re: A Bushel of Hops

Post by scuppeteer » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:27 pm

Pilgrim are a good all rounder, work well in most styles. I've found they can give honey notes to a beer when used late. Always found them a bit harsh if just used as a copper addition. Although if First Wort hopped it brings out a smoother bittering.
Admiral are quite punchy, better off with a darker beer, again a bit harsh as a straight forward bittering hop. Try using some chocolate malt in the recipe for these. I've picked up orange/raisin flavours with these, a bit like Christmas pudding! :)
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC