Hop Growing 2016

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Hanglow
Under the Table

Re: Hop Growing 2016

Post by Hanglow » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:37 pm

yeah i was 14C a few days ago up here. Mad stuff

Ulsterman

Post by Ulsterman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:16 pm

I am at 55degrees North here in County Antrim which is right on the upper limit for hop growing.

Is anyone else is in the same general latitude as me, how successful your hop growing is and what varieties you are growing?

greengumbo

Hop Growing 2017

Post by greengumbo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi all - we moved into a place with a nice big garden last year and so totally going to give hops a go :)

Downside is......I live north of Aberdeen and we do get quite wild winds.

I have seen a few members (I'll PM them!) grow hops near to me so fingers crossed with the correct variety and siting I can get a crop. I've also a field of spring Barley about to go in and I isolated some wild yeasts from my garden last year so who knows.....by the of end of the year I could have a fully homegrown beer with a bit of luck - whether its drinkable is another story.

I've seen a few companies selling bare root so was thinking Brambling X, Cascade UK and maybe a dwarf variety (prima donna ?) - other suggestions most welcome.

I like my hoppy new world style pal ales but I'd be happy to be able to produce a single cone of anything to be honest !

I'll keep you updated :)

greengumbo

Post by greengumbo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:20 am

Just ordered some Brambling Cross, Cascade and Prima Donna bare root from Aplus hops.

I'm going to grow the cascade in a half barrel and the other two will go in the ground all south facing and hopefully not too windy sites.

Fingers crossed !

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:54 pm

My hallertau and centennial both showed some shoots last weekend, we have had frosts this last week though I hope they are ok

BenB

Post by BenB » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:13 pm

I've got 2 EKG and 2* Styrian goldings and 1 fuggles all showing shoots. Last year they got nuked by wilt so I'm not sure how viable the plants are- guess I'm going to find out. Shoots look healthy enough :)

pas8280
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Location: Hindley Green near Wigan but far enough away for it to count :)

Post by pas8280 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:37 pm

I've got a cascade and a EKG both at 18" ish courtesy of Smidylad, very chuffed with them
Paul
The Hollyhop Brewery 100 litre stainless

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her - W.C. Fields

Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol - anon

BigMouth
Steady Drinker

Post by BigMouth » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:09 pm

EKG cobb, fuggles and a first gold prima donna all showing shoots in Yorkshire. Bring on year 2 of hop growing! :D

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:58 am

Ulsterman wrote:I am at 55degrees North here in County Antrim which is right on the upper limit for hop growing.

Is anyone else is in the same general latitude as me, how successful your hop growing is and what varieties you are growing?
I got my MIL, who lives in Cumbria, two fuggles last year and they did really well. She started them in a greenhouse and then put them in the sunniest spot she could. They loved it and I got over 100g of dried hops from the first year of growth.
Never enough time...

Ulsterman

Post by Ulsterman » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:01 pm

Thanks for the response Bad 'Ed, I have bought 1 each of Willamette, Kent Golding, Fuggle and Cascade and they are currently in John Innes #3 in the shed covered in bubble wrap. May bring them on in the greenhouse first if they start to show and then plant them out in April/May. Have already been allocated a good sunny place at my parents house where my Dad has a 40' wind up aerial stand for his Ham radio that's not getting used so I have an easy way of getting them up and down if they are successful. Just need to build a cross for the top to keep them apart but a few scaffold poles and brackets will take care of that.

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:51 pm

Once they start going they reall nip along. I think they only took 2 weeks to climb 4 foot in the greenhouse.
Never enough time...

windrider
Piss Artist

Post by windrider » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:09 am

My Prima Donna (First Gold) has emerged from the ground...
Attachments
IMG_1275.JPG