Hop Growing 2016

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Hanglow
Under the Table

Re: Hop Growing 2016

Post by Hanglow » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:03 pm

Mine have lots of aphids on them, I need to get them sprayed :(

andyCo

Post by andyCo » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:38 pm

Taken a couple of weeks ago , Left to right , Golden tassles, Cascade and Sazz

Northdown , and Challenger.

Brewers Gold and Centennial, first year

Touch wood ...no aphids

Andy

BenB

Post by BenB » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:34 pm

What do you do when the hop reaches the top of the string? I've got mine growing up the outside of our kitchen. I'd estimate they're now 15 foot tall and that's as tall as our kitchen extension so no easy options. A flag pole isn't an option- our pedantic neighbours have a hissy if the grass is more than 1" long I hate to think how they'd react if I stuck a flag pole up in the garden. The hop vines are flailing around on the roof and no easy option to extend the string further to give them something to grow up. Should I chop the end off to stimulate further growth lower down or let it flail in the hope that the hop will get the message it's done it's thing.

My fuggles has got some rusty veins on the leaves which I'm hoping is just a nutrient deficiency- I'm wondering whether MiracleGrow will provide or whether I need to use some Epsom Salts (apparantly hops can get significant magnesium deficiency)....

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:41 pm

BenB wrote: My fuggles has got some rusty veins on the leaves which I'm hoping is just a nutrient deficiency- I'm wondering whether MiracleGrow will provide or whether I need to use some Epsom Salts (apparantly hops can get significant magnesium deficiency)....
What plant food do they need? My hop has been a bit washed out with all the recent rain and the leaves are turning yellowy. It's also in a tub so a bit of food might be a good idea anyway.
Never enough time...

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:41 pm

Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Pegasus
Steady Drinker

Post by Pegasus » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:55 pm

BenB wrote:My fuggles has got some rusty veins on the leaves which I'm hoping is just a nutrient deficiency- I'm wondering whether MiracleGrow will provide or whether I need to use some Epsom Salts (apparantly hops can get significant magnesium deficiency)....
I'd use some good feed that contains nutrients as well as the usual N,P,K esp if in a container. Follow instructions (ie don't overdo it). Here's an interesting experiment with various nutrient deficiencies...

...and this US info for commercial crops gives more useful ideas.

EDIT: I found this from DEFRA
Last edited by Pegasus on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:21 pm

Exactly. I use store-bought organic tomato fertilizer with great results. The middle number "P" should be higher than the other two in order to promote flowering.

seymour

Post by seymour » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:31 pm

barneey wrote: Image
Aha, I spy a male hop! Wild English variant, I presume? Are you going to attempt cross-pollinating with your brewing varieties?

My male is going crazy right now too:
20160705_072255.jpg

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:13 pm

I will be leaving it as it amongst all the other commercial hops to see what if anything happens, compared to the commercial female plants this thing is like a rocket.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

seymour

Post by seymour » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:23 pm

barneey wrote:I will be leaving it as it amongst all the other commercial hops to see what if anything happens, compared to the commercial female plants this thing is like a rocket.
Mine too. Working hard to resist obvious male stereotype/sexual jokes...

Rogermort
Piss Artist

Post by Rogermort » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:32 pm

My first go. Taken this evening. From left to right Cascade, Northern Brewer and Perle. Rhizomes a Christmas present from the mother in law.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

timothy
Steady Drinker

Post by timothy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:05 pm

I abused mine the first couple months of the growing season, giving them nothing to climb on. Last week I built some supports. The roots are well developed (being 4-year-old plants), so I'm hoping for some rapid growth and an acceptable fall harvest. We should have a few more months of fair growing conditions in Missouri, so I'm hopeful.

Nugget, Columbus, and Centennial

Last edited by timothy on Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

timothy
Steady Drinker

Post by timothy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:14 pm

seymour wrote:
seymour wrote: What's that, you ask?

It's a healthy hops plant I just sprouted from seed collected from the wilds of Kazakhstan in 1993. Amazing, right?!

We brewers hear lots of The-Sky-Is-Falling commodity reports about hop shortages, crop failures due to climate change, pests, diseases, etc…all of which is true, I'm sure. But this little WALL-E seedling of mine is proof those of us who survive the apocalypse will still be able to bitter our beer for many years to come.
UPDATE:
20160628_072154.jpg
Awesome!

andyCo

Post by andyCo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:52 pm

We have burrs , USA import centennial =D>

Andy

windrider
Piss Artist

Post by windrider » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:17 am

Lots of sunny weather down in Devon and the hop plant is doing really. Lots of burrs, which will hopefully turn in to lovely cones :)
IMG_9621.JPG
IMG_9622.JPG