Hop Growing 2016

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
windrider
Piss Artist

Hop Growing 2016

Post by windrider » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:39 pm

Haven’t seen a thread posted for this yet, so thought I’d start off the annual growing topic.

Followed last year’s one with interest. Thought I’d give it a go this year. Ordered a Dwarf Prima Donna bare root from Essentially Hops and planted it yesterday.

I’m a novice gardener and followed the planting leaflet. Should I cover the crown with a couple of inches of soil and compost. Or will it be okay like it is?

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Re: Hop Growing 2016

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:06 pm

i planted prima donna last year so this year to should have grown more rhizome and should produce more hops. I mixed well rotted manure with a good compost and soil and planted so the crown of the rhizome was a couple of inches below the surface. It came up fine. Don't expect much bine or hop growth in the 1st season, it needs to spread out the rhizome this year. Mine's in a big pot.

tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Post by tourer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:22 pm

I would like to know how to defeat the bloody greenfly without using chemicals. Had loads of ladybirds and their offspring so hopefully they are still hanging around.

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:43 pm

Spray the plants with soapy water to get rid of greenfly.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:12 pm

windrider wrote:will it be okay like it is?
That's perfect, good job. Good root stock on that so you'll probably get a few hops to brew with this year, so long as you look after it. ;)
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

windrider
Piss Artist

Post by windrider » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:16 am

scuppeteer wrote:
windrider wrote:will it be okay like it is?

That's perfect, good job. Good root stock on that so you'll probably get a few hops to brew with this year, so long as you look after it. ;)
If I get anything off it I will be happy lol. A local brewery near me is doing a hop growing club and using Prima Donna so it’ll be interesting to see how everyone gets on.

duncans

Post by duncans » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:27 pm

I potted up a couple of rhizomes last november. No sign of growth yet. With the recent warm weather I was hoping to see some activity by now. Fingers crossed for a little while yet...

hazelbrew

Post by hazelbrew » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:06 pm

I planted First Gold and Amos Early Bird in February

First gold has started sprouting already. nothing from the Early bird yet.

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:55 pm

My Chinook has kicked off, broken ground already

tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Post by tourer » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:46 pm

GrowlingDogBeer wrote:Spray the plants with soapy water to get rid of greenfly.
GrowlngDogBeer is there any sort of soap to water ratio? Are we talking about normal bar soap?
Thanks

andyCo

Post by andyCo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:25 pm

tourer wrote:I would like to know how to defeat the bloody greenfly without using chemicals. Had loads of ladybirds and their offspring so hopefully they are still hanging around.
You can knock off the little blighters with a good firm hosing , ladybirds should do the trick but my experience is they don't fully clear the plant.
Makes sense as if they clean up all the green fly then there's nothing left for their larvae.
This years trick is plant companion plants that hopefully will draw away the green fly from my hops, Nasturtium , marigolds, chives and wild garlic is my first line of defense this year.

Andy

Pegasus
Steady Drinker

Post by Pegasus » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:36 pm

duncans wrote:I potted up a couple of rhizomes last november. No sign of growth yet. With the recent warm weather I was hoping to see some activity by now. Fingers crossed for a little while yet...
Me too. Goldings started early Feb (now about 6 inches), Fuggles and Challenger kicked off a few weeks ago. I'm near Bromley, Kent.

Tony1951

Post by Tony1951 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:16 pm

I planted three First Gold / Primadonna about a week ago. I had them stored in an IKEA bag filled with loamy soil behind the house for about six weeks since I had got them from Willmington Nurseries. The Rhyzomes were already sprouting quite well when I planted them so I expect to see them above ground pretty soon. I live at 55North so I may need to wait longer than people in the south.

I'm not expecting to crop much this season. They seem to need a year to get established.

windrider
Piss Artist

Post by windrider » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:32 pm

I think we have the first signs of growth on the Prima Donna :D
Attachments
IMG_8739.JPG

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:16 pm

windrider wrote:I think we have the first signs of growth on the Prima Donna :D
My prime donna and wild hop has surfaced too, year two so hoping for some for brew this year!