Hop Growing 2016

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Hop Growing 2016

Post by Wonkydonkey » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:29 pm

I've just been looking at mine, I still don't think they are ready for picking I have 5 types, first gold/Brewers gold ( not realy sure as they were given to me. Challenger, santiam, which are much better this year. As they usualy get some thing that really fu@ks them up on yeald. And cascade, boy is this a heavy cropper shame they don't taste like the the type grown in usa . More lemonish really, I picked them to early last year . and last of all nugget. Did not do much again, must bee the place there planted
To Busy To Add,

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:45 pm

Got a decent crop this year. The bines grew much higher than in previous years -- right up to the gutter.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:30 am

Hogarth,
Great Hop Pics! :D =D>
In Pic 1, your `Weed` looks very different to the `Weed` that I grow. Could you please send me a couple of spliffs! :D

WA

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:11 am

Whilst I have dried hops before in the past IMHO its far better to use them :mrgreen:
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:16 pm

WalesAles wrote:Hogarth,
Great Hop Pics! :D =D>
In Pic 1, your `Weed` looks very different to the `Weed` that I grow. Could you please send me a couple of spliffs! :D

WA
:lol: You'd be disappointed. I may live in Brixton but the only cannabaceae in my back yard are my EKGs.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:20 pm

I just harvested my first year hallertau milttelfruh. I got 1.1kg of wet hops off it, which I am delighted with. They smell incredible, nice and sticky, reminds me of when I used to grow other types of plants under lights as a student :) I'm going to dry them rather than do a wet hop ale as I've just bottled two batches the other day

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:43 pm

By the way, did anyone else get much browner hops than normal? My Fuggles, my EKGs, and the EKGs I planted in my sister's garden in North London had lots of brown/dead cones which had to be discarded. I see Barneey's were rather browned too. Anyone else get this ... and is it the weather or something?

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:07 am

Hogarth wrote:By the way, did anyone else get much browner hops than normal? My Fuggles, my EKGs, and the EKGs I planted in my sister's garden in North London had lots of brown/dead cones which had to be discarded. I see Barneey's were rather browned too. Anyone else get this ... and is it the weather or something?
Quite common this year, lots of brusing and the really hot weather at the wrong time.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:37 pm

scuppeteer wrote:
Hogarth wrote:By the way, did anyone else get much browner hops than normal? My Fuggles, my EKGs, and the EKGs I planted in my sister's garden in North London had lots of brown/dead cones which had to be discarded. I see Barneey's were rather browned too. Anyone else get this ... and is it the weather or something?
Quite common this year, lots of brusing and the really hot weather at the wrong time.
Ah, thanks. Good to know it wasn't my fault.

grunter
Tippler

Post by grunter » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:41 am

amazing results lads!!!

a bit off topic but for what its worth my plants really struggled in pots, i've collected only 30g dried weight from three plants and friends collected 1.2kg from 1 plant (cascade)

My friends was grown on the end of his chicken coop so i think it was constantly fertilised!!!

After a low harvest my cascade and chinook plants are infested with aphids or whitefly? anyone had this problem?

I've tried this organic pest tray but only worked for a small period

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

chrisgg

Post by chrisgg » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Postby scuppeteer » Sun May 22, 2016 1:15 am
If you want to be pedantic about it that's fine, but hop growing terminology is: Hops grow by following the direction of travel of the Sun. So East to West, Left to Right and Clockwise! :P

As you look at the hop strings from the side, when the shoots pass in front of the string they go right to left but left to right when they pass behind the string. I don't see how they can only go left to right or East to West. They are turning clockwise if you look from above but anticlockwise from below. So on the same basis, if you turn a screwdriver to undo a screw on the ceiling, you would normally say you are turning the screwdriver anticlockwise from below, the same that the hop shoots are doing as they grow upwards. Also, If the hops followed the direction of the sun, they wouldn't go vertically up in the air. I know you are right about it being called clockwise by convention, but it is simply a convention, not obvious logic....to me anyway!

grunter
Tippler

Re: Hop Growing 2017

Post by grunter » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:51 pm

Just received my new rhizomes for next year after few plants failed last year :oops:

I hear you are supposed to plant as early as possible, but as they struggled in pots last year I'm keen to get them in the ground asap?

Will the rhizomes survive in a raised bed or the ground with 3 inches of bark on top if it freezes?

or am I better off planting in pots in the shed until the frost clears at the end of January?

grunty

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Re: Hop Growing 2017

Post by scuppeteer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:14 pm

grunter wrote:Just received my new rhizomes for next year after few plants failed last year :oops:

I hear you are supposed to plant as early as possible, but as they struggled in pots last year I'm keen to get them in the ground asap?

Will the rhizomes survive in a raised bed or the ground with 3 inches of bark on top if it freezes?

or am I better off planting in pots in the shed until the frost clears at the end of January?

grunty

Whereabouts are you Grunty?

Few things to consider really. Is your garden susceptible to frost? Is where you plan to plant reasonably sheltered and south facing? Will it get maximum sunlight?

It is not normal to plant out in December as the ground can be frozen or sodden, but if your garden has reasonable drainage you may get away with it. The forecast for the next couple of weeks is cooler but not freezing so again its possible. Personally I would put them in pots and protect them from any potential frost but make sure they have available sunlight at the same time.
Planting out early February is best but again dependant on how wet the soil is. My local farmer had to wait until the end of April this year to put in new setts as the ground was so wet.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:37 pm

I thought they can survive down to -20 or so? We have very mild winters compared to continent/usa where they grow hops

I'll be putting mine into a big pot anyway, so should be very well drained

The leaflet from the nusery said to plant out when you get it (or put it in a pot then plant out in spring

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:59 pm

Hanglow wrote:I thought they can survive down to -20 or so? We have very mild winters compared to continent/usa where they grow hops

I'll be putting mine into a big pot anyway, so should be very well drained

The leaflet from the nusery said to plant out when you get it (or put it in a pot then plant out in spring
Our winters down South are so mild my fuggles started growing when I planted it out in late Decemeber a couple of years ago.