CO2 Extract

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Mr. Dripping

Re: CO2 Extract

Post by Mr. Dripping » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:59 am

The CO2 extract comes in 1kg cans, usually only filled to give 300grams of alpha acid in the can. This means you need to use it in the brew kettle, adding at the start of boiling to isomerise the alpha acids. It’s a thick liquid so you need to scoop out or warm up to 30C by placing the can in a warm basin of water for 10-15mins prior to use.

A can is currently £30 plus postage. The extract is stable for 3 years, but once opened can be kept in a cool area for 12 months without issue.

We usually have stock of Hercules, Columbus, target, and magnum. But this shortage year that varies- I think we have some Pilgrim also.

I've had a response from TNS.
I think I will order a can of the columbus over the next few weeks.
If anyone wants some I am happy to split at cost price......just let me know.

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:44 am

I've been informed Charles faram sell it or the one scuppeteer linked in 15ml doses

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:32 pm

The Faram product that is offered in small packages is for use post fermentation.....I want the one that is used in the boil.

Farams and TNS both seem to offer the same 500g can which is standardised to give 300g of alpha acid.

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:45 pm

Just got a reply from Rob... Malt Miller comes through again!
it’s on order. I will have to work out how to package but will sort it ASAP.

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:50 pm

Charles farams is 12.95 per can but they only have magnum and pilgrim

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:06 pm

What is the advantage of this extract? Is it just that it's cheaper per IBU? Doesn't seem worth it in home brew quantities so what am I missing?

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:31 pm

rpt wrote:What is the advantage of this extract? Is it just that it's cheaper per IBU? Doesn't seem worth it in home brew quantities so what am I missing?
A brewer from Beavertown told me; "we find it gives a really clean bitterness, which is ideal for high abv brews- you can avoid that vegetal note you sometimes get when boiling large quantities of leaf for 60 mins."

Extract appears in lots of D(or triple)IPA recipes, presumably for the above reason.

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:59 pm

Another member has contacted me about sharing a tin and I am over the next week or so going to order one.

If anyone else is interested in getting hold of some please post in this thread or drop me a PM.
I need to clarify a few details on pack weight and make a choice between TNS and Farams, but the cost is likely to be in the region of £4.30 per 100g plus postage (thats if I've interpreted the info on pack size correctly).

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:06 am

Out of curiosity where does Charles Faram list tinned hops on their site, my Google-Fu is failing me.

Wasp_Box
Steady Drinker

Post by Wasp_Box » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:39 pm

Is anyone buying extract? If so, I would like to contribute for 100g or so.

Sleeperservice

Post by Sleeperservice » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:57 pm

Hi, I got a tin of CO2 extract from Yakima Valley Hops in a purchase I made earlier this year. I opened it, filled sterile syringes with it and its been sitting in the freezer since then. There was something like 130/140 cls of it and I've used perhaps 15cl so far (been brewing low IBU New England style IPAs).
If anyone wants a sample then message me, I'll send it out for postage cost via paypal.

Wasp_Box
Steady Drinker

Post by Wasp_Box » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:04 pm

Sleeperservice,

Wish I had read that a week ago. I've just ordered a can from Yakima Valley Hops too.

How did you find it?

Sleeperservice

Post by Sleeperservice » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi Wasp,

Yes, I like it, but I also like using Magnum and CTZ. Its supposed to lead to a cleaner bitterness but as I'm not making 100 ibu beers at the moment its hard to determine too much of a difference.

Wasp_Box
Steady Drinker

Post by Wasp_Box » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:32 pm

Thanks,

When my can eventually arrives it's going to be tested on a 100+ IBU Brewdog recipe of "Restorative Beverage for Invalids and Convalescents". Presumably there's no faff about it - just add to boiling wort and give things a stir.

Sleeperservice

Post by Sleeperservice » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:33 pm

Yes, thats what I do.

I know some guys on the US forums like to get it dissolved 1st but I have never had issues.

100+ IBU will be a proper test, be interested to see how it does.

Just kegged a NE style IPA Mosaic/Galaxy/Citra with extract for bittering, tasting stellar.