Pellet or Leaf - which do you use and why

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!

What form of hops do you prefer to use?

Leaf
57%
Pellets
43%

Total votes: 54

rpt
Hollow Legs

Re: Pellet or Leaf - which do you use and why

Post by rpt » Mon May 23, 2016 11:16 pm

I only use leaf because the two times I've used pellets they blocked my bazooka filter.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue May 24, 2016 8:11 am

keith1664 wrote:I use both but mainly leaf. If using pellets in the boil I usually use a bit of leaf to help with the filter bed.
For dry hopping I prefer pellet.
My take too. I whirlpool, as I recirculate through my plate chiller back into the boiler. The problem this causes is of course the wort and trub/hops etc, are pulled towards the filter, if it is just pellets it can easily block and cause run off problems, particularly with IPA's wanting/demanding high bitterness or aroma. Using leaf only or as well helps filter the wort to exceptional clarity (an elusive fetish of mine). Dry hopping with pellets has a number of advantages, less absorption, packs down easily with finings and has greater aroma impact
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Tue May 24, 2016 1:48 pm

Pellets for me. As people have said above they are easier to store, great for the BM and dry hopping. I did used to buy leafs for the kettle and my hopback when I had my 3V system but then I would buy pellets to dry hop, this led to extra expense and more storage required. Now where possible I am almost exclusively pellets and love them.