New to me from America

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
steambrew
Piss Artist

New to me from America

Post by steambrew » Sun May 22, 2016 2:58 pm

A few days ago a very good friend came home from America/ Canada border he managed to bring with him some vacuum packed hops 200 gram of each these are new to me they are Citra , El Dorado, and --- something 336/ Equinox has anyone any suggestions on what could be brewed with these any information would be appreciated =D>

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: New to me from America

Post by MTW » Sun May 22, 2016 3:49 pm

They are very popular hops. Nice to get them direct like that, but if you do turn out to have success with them, you can get them readily from suppliers within the UK.

I haven't got any experience of El Dorado; maybe just tasted it in a commercial beer among 2 other hops.

Citra - very powerful citrus smelling and tasting hop; quite a harsh bitterness sometimes, for me, but still favoured by many as a single hop candidate.

Equinox - I'm not keen on it, at least not in any quantity. Quite a vegetative, green peppery taste to me. More earthy. Use sparingly.

The guys on Brew-dudes.com have videos featuring El Dorado and Equinox. You may well find them helpful and entertaining.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sun May 22, 2016 4:12 pm

citra are amongst my favourite late hop/dry hop additions :)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Mon May 23, 2016 12:06 am

Citra are just a punch in the face if you use too much. The other 2 are more restrained. I liken El Dorado to First Gold on Steroids, very orangey. Equinox are more rounded, I rather like them. Don't use any of these for bittering though, despite their high alpha, its a bit of a waste with such good hops.

You're very lucky to have these, they're like rocking horse poo at the moment. :mrgreen:
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

critch

Post by critch » Fri May 27, 2016 1:10 pm

all murder to get over here weve just been told we wont be receiving our allotment of el dorado this year due to the hops being sold from under farams. haaarrrumph :cry:

serum

Post by serum » Fri May 27, 2016 7:07 pm

Citra I know is hard to get in the UK. I'm not a big hop head but Oakham citra is lovely