A community project to grow hops in and around York (UK)

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
timmydog
Steady Drinker

A community project to grow hops in and around York (UK)

Post by timmydog » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:16 am

Hello everyone,

If you or someone you know would like a cheap Prima Donna plant to grow for a community hop project (or for homebrew) then please visit https://www.facebook.com/YorkCommunityHops/ and get in touch, or via JBK if you prefer to avoid FB.

I'm hoping to have a green hopped beer brewed by a local brewery, but this part of the plan hasn't really started yet; I thought I'd wait until there were actually hop plans growing with the potential to contribute hops to the beer before I embarked on that! ;-)

I'd like 50p per plant to cover my costs, but I think that this is quite a bargain for a hop plant.

Please let me know if you're interested!

Tim

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: A community project to grow hops in and around York (UK)

Post by WalesAles » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:53 pm

timmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! :D
Put me down for £5.
How do I pay you and when?

WA

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:52 am

Hi Tim afraid I'm not on Facebook, but would happily join in on this, and would take a couple of plants if you are offering more than 1 per head.

I met the guy building the new ainsty ales brewery the other week- he'd definitely be up for this if there were enough of us producing a decent amount of hops

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:16 pm

Tim, sounds fantastic! I work on community growing and orchards projects and this included 7 folk and a community garden growing hops. This is year two and they are taking over their gardens! I only have a yard so I'm growing prima donna dwarf in a great big pot. We will be at the community garden this September to brew together, but next year I'm sure we could contribute to the green hop ale and also i could promote your project to others. Ill take two plants off you for myself.
Great stuff!!!!!

danb3434

Post by danb3434 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:58 pm

Great idea, wish I could get involved but I'm too far away from York :/

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:14 pm

I'm in I've just taken over an allotment and planned on a few hop bines. prima donna would have been one of my choices! love First Gold.

timmydog
Steady Drinker

Post by timmydog » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:04 pm

WalesAles wrote:timmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! :D
Put me down for £5.
How do I pay you and when?

WA
Can you get to York to collect them, because I don't want to post them..?

Tim

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

timmydog
Steady Drinker

Post by timmydog » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:07 pm

Stewb wrote:Hi Tim afraid I'm not on Facebook, but would happily join in on this, and would take a couple of plants if you are offering more than 1 per head.

I met the guy building the new ainsty ales brewery the other week- he'd definitely be up for this if there were enough of us producing a decent amount of hops

Fantastic! I'm using the Swan on Bishopthorpe road as the place to meet people; I'll check with my wife when I'm allowed out and pm you too arrange a meeting.

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:21 pm

Great tim- I am up for as many as six but will take what you can spare. Am heading off to Norfolk on Friday for a week with the kids and the wife's family, but otherwise am pretty flexible in the evenings

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:17 pm

might struggle with York, i'm sheffield way.....

bottles
Steady Drinker

Post by bottles » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:18 pm

I'm interested in one possibly more. Need some growing into etc. Let me know when your meeting at the swan.
Andrew

timmydog
Steady Drinker

Post by timmydog » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:17 am

bottles wrote:I'm interested in one possibly more. Need some growing into etc. Let me know when your meeting at the swan.
Andrew
Cool, will do.

Tim

brew like a dog

Post by brew like a dog » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:02 pm

I never used to understand these hop 'community' projects. I mean, why would you grow hops, pick them and then give them away only to buy the beer back :) However, they seem to be more for gardeners and people looking just to grow them who do not brew. When you look at it like that, it makes a great deal of sense. Even more, there is potential with these projects to form a 'mini' breeding project i.e. come up with a new variety :) :) I would drink to that!

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:45 pm

Well Tim,

thanks for the hops, they have been doing well in their pot I planted them out in this year and even saw some reasonable late season growth...

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:53 pm

And, finally after months of procrastinating, their permanent home has been turned from a pile of demolition rubble to a 10 1/2 foot high hop frame...

It's a touch agricultural, and my wife's a bit concerned about what neighbours may be about to say (I'm more confident in the soothing effects of beer bribery!)