Hop drying

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Hop drying

Post by robbarwell » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:44 pm

Anyone tried a domestic tumble dryer to dry hops out after they have been harvested

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Hop drying

Post by Wonkydonkey » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:32 pm

Well as I don't have one( tumble d) and it's not September the asnswer is no to both. But I can't see it working to well as the temp would get too high, and bash them silly, have you look how the hop growers do it.? I think there will be a few rules to try and follow, ie max temp of air flow.
To Busy To Add,

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:06 am

I honestly think there's no need for artificial heat at all. Professionals do it because they have a shit load of hops to process. At home, the best thing to do is just spread them out thinly in a warm room or airing cupboard, and let them dry naturally. It only takes a few days, and it's a lot kinder to them than blasting them with hot air.

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:51 am

You could build a frame with insect mesh and dry them on that in a warm room/conservatory.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:14 am

BrannigansLove wrote:You could build a frame with insect mesh and dry them on that in a warm room/conservatory.

That's what I do, but I have a fan blowing air across the top. And with a little turning of the hops each day, it takes about 3/4 days
To Busy To Add,

Gorebyss

Post by Gorebyss » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:24 am

I don't think it is the best way to handle hops.

normanh

Post by normanh » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:14 pm

Tried it just the once on some wild hops using low heat with the hops in a pillowcase, seemed to work ok but left a strong odour in the dryer which didnt impress the wife.

Norman

BigMouth
Steady Drinker

Post by BigMouth » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:36 pm

Left mine on kitchen roll lined dinner trays at the top of the airing cupboard over the weekend.
Harvested and weighed on Thursday afternoon and on Sunday they weighed 20 % of their orginal weight so I popped them in zip food bags and flattened out as much air as I could then put them in the freezer.
Intend to use them this weekend. It was a first year so only enough for one brew ☺

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:02 pm

it only takes a few days to dry them out if laid out less than 3" deep, turn daily and they should be crisp n dry within a week,

My crop wasnt huge this year but substantial enough with circa 600g from one bine and 400g from the 2nd. (dried mass)

and i managed to dry them all in a hanging mesh laundry dryer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Double-La ... tLo3lZ4nVw

next year i may need a couple more fingers crossed and i will lay down a sheet to catch the spiders n debris as it falls
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

brew like a dog

Post by brew like a dog » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:31 am

on the plus side, your next lot of laundry (and maybe many more after) will have a fantastic aroma of hops :)

Personally, i would stay clear of using tumble driers, microwaves and dehydrating machines LoL a rack in a warm dry place possibly with a fan (but not too powerfully) is more ideal. Sorry for not having a quick fix to drying hops but it is worth waiting the 2 or 3 days they take to dry (in my humble opinion) :)

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:54 am

Once you dry them do you then use less when brewing? Like shop bought hops?

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:09 am

alexlark wrote:Once you dry them do you then use less when brewing? Like shop bought hops?
Seriously? #-o
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

brew like a dog

Post by brew like a dog » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:27 pm

alexlark wrote:Once you dry them do you then use less when brewing? Like shop bought hops?
Basically, you are removing the moisture content when you dry them. I would assume the moisture content of dried at home hops would depend on the moisture content of the hops before drying and how effective the home drying process was (including factors such as relative humidity, temperature and ventilation of the area your hops were dried in etc). However, that would be going into too much detail really.

The basic answer is yes, a lot less dried hops are used compared to fresh green ones. The figure i have seen on youtube videos and forums etc is approximately one fifth i.e. if you use fresh green hops increase the recipe quantity by five. For me, the fun in using home grown hops is not knowing all the variables :)

chivelegs

Post by chivelegs » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:27 am

Weightwise you will be using less as the moisture lost in drying is a large percentage of the overall weight of the hops. Number wise,you use about the same number of hops wet-hopping or dry.