When to dry hop

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Yosh

When to dry hop

Post by Yosh » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:44 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm following a recipe for a punk IPA clone but I'm a little unsure when to dry hop. it says 5 days, is this supposed to be 5 days into fermentation or five days before bottling?

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... -ipa-clone

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: When to dry hop

Post by 6470zzy » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:00 pm

After primary fermentation is complete, transfer to secondary and dry hop for 5 days.

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Yosh

Post by Yosh » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:27 pm

cheers

Good Ed
Steady Drinker

Post by Good Ed » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:21 pm

Alternatively according to your preference, you would leave in the primary FV and add the hops towards the end of fermentation and leave for 3 days at fermentation temperature. If you are using a lot of dry hops (over 50g) you would want to do this in 2 batches.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:59 am

When the beer is relatively clear of yeast, which will only drag oils from your hops out of solution if you go too early. The duration with the hops is determined for me by the time it takes for them to drop out; I don't bag them. What I can do, is control how long they get at specific temperatures. The warmer, the quicker the extraction. When they're chilled down, there's very little further extraction, but the beer clears quicker.

Pellets or leaves? I find pellets need less time warm to gain the same perceived extraction. Sometimes just a day at 20C,before crash chilling.

Some commercial breweries dry hop cooler, to avoid autolysis. It's been shown to be less of a problem in small vessels, and seems to be one aspect where we may be better off ignoring commercial practices.

In the end, trial and error!
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:04 pm

Good Ed wrote:Alternatively according to your preference, you would leave in the primary FV and add the hops towards the end of fermentation and leave for 3 days at fermentation temperature. If you are using a lot of dry hops (over 50g) you would want to do this in 2 batches.

Good answer. 2/3rds done for me.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer