Azacca

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
raiderman

Azacca

Post by raiderman » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:56 pm

I'm trying these for the first time. I going for a straightforward base beer, fairly blonde with Belgian pale and carapils and possibly a tad of light rye to give a little body. I'm not aiming for bitterness but aroma and was wondering how far to push late additions and post boil hopping 150, 200g. ??? Anyone tried pushing this one? Cheers

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Azacca

Post by Rookie » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:51 pm

raiderman wrote:I'm trying these for the first time. I going for a straightforward base beer, fairly blonde with Belgian pale and carapils and possibly a tad of light rye to give a little body. I'm not aiming for bitterness but aroma and was wondering how far to push late additions and post boil hopping 150, 200g. ??? Anyone tried pushing this one? Cheers
I've not used this hop yet, but the description on hops list sounds pretty nice.
I'd start out with a modest amount in post boil additions, take a taste and then add more dry hops if needed.
Azacca is the main hop in two beers on my list of beers to try at next month's Organic Beer Fest over the river in Portland, OR.
Give them a go and let us know how it turns out.
I'm just here for the beer.

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:07 pm

I do that with malts, start low and then throw more in as I get confident. Well except for rye when I started at 40% which might have been a little bold. But hops I don't have the patience for starting low. I've gone for 30 g challenger to give a little bitterness and then 100 g over the final 20m, 20,15 and 5 then cooled to 80c and chucked another 50g in and let them soak all afternoon. It's meant to have good aroma and I've pushed citra to 200g so it will be interesting to see what happens.

DaveyT
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DaveyT » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:58 pm

What could go wrong? Let us know how they turn out.
Evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs.
Bill Hicks

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:10 pm

raiderman wrote:I do that with malts, start low and then throw more in as I get confident. Well except for rye when I started at 40% which might have been a little bold. But hops I don't have the patience for starting low. I've gone for 30 g challenger to give a little bitterness and then 100 g over the final 20m, 20,15 and 5 then cooled to 80c and chucked another 50g in and let them soak all afternoon. It's meant to have good aroma and I've pushed citra to 200g so it will be interesting to see what happens.
My experience is showing me that late hops are largely a waste for aroma, I would go for 10 minute addition for a bit of flavour, possibly a "cool" steep circa 80c then 2 lots of whatever amount you care for, one during fermentation about 2/3rds of FG then the rest in when done, if you go for a lot then fish the first lot out before the second addition.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:32 pm

orlando wrote:
raiderman wrote:I do that with malts, start low and then throw more in as I get confident. Well except for rye when I started at 40% which might have been a little bold. But hops I don't have the patience for starting low. I've gone for 30 g challenger to give a little bitterness and then 100 g over the final 20m, 20,15 and 5 then cooled to 80c and chucked another 50g in and let them soak all afternoon. It's meant to have good aroma and I've pushed citra to 200g so it will be interesting to see what happens.
My experience is showing me that late hops are largely a waste for aroma, I would go for 10 minute addition for a bit of flavour, possibly a "cool" steep circa 80c then 2 lots of whatever amount you care for, one during fermentation about 2/3rds of FG then the rest in when done, if you go for a lot then fish the first lot out before the second addition.
Just curious Orlando - Why stick any dry hops in so early, when there is so much yeast around to strip out oils? I agree regarding aroma late hops (and steeped hops too) on my system, though it does affect taste.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:54 pm

MTW wrote:
Just curious Orlando - Why stick any dry hops in so early, when there is so much yeast around to strip out oils? I agree regarding aroma late hops (and steeped hops too) on my system, though it does affect taste.
Because it isn't early, 2/3rds done is unlikely to do that to any significant degree and the yeast will help the hops to "mingle". Hops are still an area of great research and I'm not convinced anyone has a complete handle on it. It certainly won't hurt to leave dry hopping later but I haven't experienced detriment either so I would rather get on with it. A recent low gravity brew was grain to glass in 11 days and was absolutely superb, hop aroma was very good indeed.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:08 am

I think cool steeping for 3 or 4 hours from 80c works well, but I still prefer late additions to the boil as well and use these to get 2/3rds of my bitterness as well as aroma. what I try to avoid is the resinous quality that shedloads of hops can give and this produces good results for me

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:13 pm

These hops are definitely interesting. Just kegging and having a swig. Very little aroma but what there is is pleasant. Flavour though is promising Big and fruity with a citrus edge-- but not grapefruit, this is nothing like citra it will be interesting to see how it matures