Hop picking

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Jules T

Re: Hop picking

Post by Jules T » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:35 pm

Bobba wrote:That's a pretty nifty hop drying rack. Any idea where to source something like that?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Sorry, I have no idea. It was at the back of an old shed when I bought my house, I've almost thrown it away several times but it's built so nicely I never had the heart to. Anyway 10 years on I've finally found a use for it.

Bagged and froze 480g off two Prima Donna hop bines today. First year crop so hoping for better crop in 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenB

Post by BenB » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:22 pm

I "harvested" my hops today. They're certainly dry. In fact they're quite brown and papery. Smell a mix between green grass and smoke. Not unpleasant. I boiled up a hop tea and they sure are bitter! So I'm going to bung them in my upcoming ESB so I can just brag about it containing my "home grown hops". I should stick them in a porter because the smokey smell would make it sing. Still not sure how much to use. Might boil up some of the recommended hops and work out a comparison by tasting them e.g. X grams of home-grown = Y grams of whatever-its-supposed-to-be IE try and work out an alpha acid ballpark.

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:58 am

I picked mine on Saturday and used some on Sunday.
I have far too many so will have to freeze some but they do smell amazing this year as I think I caught them just before they went too far as they can go a bit 'oniony' if left.

Fuggles Galore (half of them at least)