Hopback Vs Dry Hopping

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
D4nny74
Hollow Legs

Hopback Vs Dry Hopping

Post by D4nny74 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:34 am

What the title says, whats everyones thoughts ? are hop rockets worth the price ?

Cheers

Danny

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Hopback Vs Dry Hopping

Post by Rookie » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:40 pm

D4nny74 wrote:What the title says, whats everyones thoughts ? are hop rockets worth the price ?

Cheers

Danny
I've never used a hopback so I can't comment specifically on that, but my question would be are you getting the results you want with dry hopping?
I'm just here for the beer.

D4nny74
Hollow Legs

Post by D4nny74 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:23 pm

Yes but just wondering whats the difference is taste /smell , have people bought one and regretted it ?

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:01 pm

I've had a beer that used about 80g of mosaic in a hop rocket. It stunk of hops when o drank it. It made me want to get one so I did. To date I've not used it but am going to this week in my next brew. With about 20g of mosaic Citra and chinook in. See what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:27 pm

I bought one, used it once and never used it again. It's gathering dust in the brew shed. Main problems are the fact I have to buy leaf hops to use in it. If your making a small batch, it wastes about a litre of wort. And is another piece of kit to clean.

On the plus side, you can circulate hot wort through it to sterilise the hops. Your not left with hops in the fermenter. The hop aromas are more prominent, but in my opinion don't seem to last as long, for example I did a EKG pale which smelt lovely a week after bottling, a month later the aroma was completely gone.

To be honest, it's a nice looking shiny piece of kit, but it doesn't add anything that dry hopping already adds.

D4nny74
Hollow Legs

Post by D4nny74 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:36 am

Would you it's the same as dry hopping same aroma and taste ?Let me know if your ever considering selling it Coffeeuk :D

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:58 am

Your question initially was about hop back vs dry hopping. The 2 are very different. A hopback is used post boil to steep hops before going to the fermenter, at least on a larger brewery scale. I find late hopping (ie at flameout) is similar to the effects that a hopback would give at homebrew level.

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:03 am

That's my hop rocket getting an outing the other day. See what the beer turns out like soon. But smells rather good in the FV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D4nny74
Hollow Legs

Post by D4nny74 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:17 am

=D> looking good :D

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:08 am

I have read you can use your mash tun as a hopback, pile your hops in there and pump your wort over it

Anyone here tried that

Padalac

Post by Padalac » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:50 pm

^ Sounds risky to me..

james1988
Piss Artist

Post by james1988 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:30 am

Padalac wrote:^ Sounds risky to me..
Out of interest, why does it sound risky to you?

James

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:49 am

james1988 wrote:
Padalac wrote:^ Sounds risky to me..
Out of interest, why does it sound risky to you?

James
I'd call it suicidal. If you do it pre ferment then you've got a great chance of infecting your wort. If you do it at the end of fermentation you've got a great chance of oxidising your wort.

Grain is crawling with lactobacillus bacteria, and there's probably a few other things along for the ride too in your average brew. It's fine because you massacre them all with a good boil after the mash, and the mash itself is held not far below pasteurisation temperatures anyway. But any tiny crevice is going to harbour some of that bacteria left over from the mash, and your fragile unfermented wort is perfect for it to multiply in.

In 40 brews I'm yet to have an infection take over a brew, so I'm pretty confident about my cleaning and sanitising regime. Despite having an all stainless steel mash tun (don't even think about doing this with a plastic one - bacteria will hide in minor scratches) I'd not be confident in cleaning well enough around things like the thermowell or bottom drain.

If I was going to repurpose my MT as a hop rocket I'd take everything off of it and boil the lot.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

james1988
Piss Artist

Post by james1988 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:54 pm

Fair answer but if the wort is at near boiling point having just been through the boiler then wouldn't the risk become significantly lower? Without dragging this wildly off topic, I currently sanitise everything I'm going to use during the brew when setting up. It occurs to me that when you add the liquor to the grain (and vice versa) that sanitising the mash tun is almost redundant as you rightly point out that the grain will be crawling with bacteria so in effect you have undone your cleaning regime.

I too have yet to have an infected brew (I'm about 30 odd AG brews in) and am going to continue sanitising as I normally would but it is something to think about.

James

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:30 pm

james1988 wrote:Fair answer but if the wort is at near boiling point having just been through the boiler then wouldn't the risk become significantly lower? Without dragging this wildly off topic, I currently sanitise everything I'm going to use during the brew when setting up. It occurs to me that when you add the liquor to the grain (and vice versa) that sanitising the mash tun is almost redundant as you rightly point out that the grain will be crawling with bacteria so in effect you have undone your cleaning regime.

I too have yet to have an infected brew (I'm about 30 odd AG brews in) and am going to continue sanitising as I normally would but it is something to think about.

James
Anything hot side just needs to be clean, everything cold side as sanitised as you can make it.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer