Hop ID

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
martinr82

Hop ID

Post by martinr82 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:49 pm

Guys

I found some hops growing in a hedgerow by the side of the road near me. I know that sounds like a tall tale, but it is legitimately true.

I think they might be saaz, but not 100%
Attachments
image.jpeg

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Hop ID

Post by Jim » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:15 pm

I don't have a clue, but I do know that the actual physical size of the hop cones helps with identification, so if you could put a ruler in the photo it might help someone who knows about these things.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

martinr82

Post by martinr82 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:38 pm

Hi Jim

Thanks for that. As advised, a picture with a ruler
Attachments
image.jpeg

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:52 pm

Jim wrote:I don't have a clue, but I do know that the actual physical size of the hop cones helps with identification, so if you could put a ruler in the photo it might help someone who knows about these things.
As long as the hops grow a uniform size. I recently harvested my goldings and had a pretty wide variance in size: from some a bit bigger than the end joint of my little finger to some that were nearly as big as my thumb.
And the same deal with my sterlings.
I'm just here for the beer.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:33 pm

martinr82 wrote:I think they might be saaz, but not 100%
Do you live in Czech Martin?
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

martinr82

Post by martinr82 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:36 pm

I dont, but its the closest I could find by appearance (which I know isnt an exact science)

I live near Basingstoke

scuppeteer
Under the Table

Post by scuppeteer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:42 pm

martinr82 wrote:I dont, but its the closest I could find by appearance (which I know isnt an exact science)

I live near Basingstoke
OK thought so. Saaz are only grown in Czech. What you have there is a random wild hop that has been self seeded by a random bird. If it smells like a hop then use them in a brew. Any hint of onion or garlic then don't bother. The vast majority of wild hops are good for brewing. And if it makes a good beer you know where to go back to next year. :wink:
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

martinr82

Post by martinr82 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:52 pm

So the hedge where there is quite a lot of this growing, separates the field from the road, wonder if it would be cheeky to ask the farmer what hops he used to grow there..........

Smell wise, its hard to say, now you mention onion/garlic, they do smell a bit like that.

Will go and pick some more tomorrow, only at the end of my road.

scuppeteer
Under the Table

Post by scuppeteer » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:30 am

Certainly worth asking, but prepared to be disappointed. Unless there are visible signs of old Oasts on the farm as historically there weren't many hops grown in your area.
Dave Berry

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:56 pm

scuppeteer wrote: OK thought so. Saaz are only grown in Czech.
And now Norfolk, Reepham to be precise, I was picking and sniffing some on Saturday. :D
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer