First Gold green hope recipe?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
hazelbrew

First Gold green hope recipe?

Post by hazelbrew » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:16 am

not been on here for a while...

but my first year hops don't know that.

I have a First Gold hop with maybe 50-60 clusters of hops on it.

It smells good. I assume it is ready? yellow glands on the clusters. i made a hop tea out of one as a sort of UK "green tea". Very nice it was too!

Anyone have a recipe for a wet hopped ale with First Gold? Anything really.

I want something quick to do - either a part mash or kit tweak.

Lastly...

can you use wet hops when wet?

What I mean by this is...

if I pick the hops for drying and storage then clearly I want to pick them on a dry day and dry them off properly.

but if I am going to pick them and put them straight into a pot does it matter that they are a bit wet from rain?

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Re: First Gold green hope recipe?

Post by Coffeeuk » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:02 am

I'm just brewing with mine that I picked this morning. Here's what I'm brewing, it's all grain so not sure it's any use to you. The first gold are green hops and the steep is being done in the hop rocket.

hazelbrew

Post by hazelbrew » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:41 pm

thanks.

just going out to pick them now! no idea how much I will get. I will take pictures...

an ESB type bear would be ok.

I have a base pilsner kit that could be modified and think i have some crystal to steep.

hazelbrew

Post by hazelbrew » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:29 pm

Picked...

I have 183 grammes wet weight!

that seems quite good for their first year?

Means I can do a full batch. I was going to do half

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:22 am

Whilst its a nice idea, to get a really good flavour from green hops you'll need around 3 times that amount. I brewed mine last Monday and put 1.5kg in 50l which is light hopping by normal green hop standard.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

windrider
Piss Artist

Post by windrider » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:33 am

I managed to get 350 grams from my First Gold (First year's harvest). The general rule of thumb is to use 4 to 6 times the amount of wet hops compared to normal dried hops. So for example, if you needed 45 grams of dried hops you would want to use anything around 225grams instead.

This is the recipe I brewed with, going to be Kegging it this week. The only change was I substituted the 10 min addition with challenger because I didn’t have enough fresh hops for both editions. So the First Golf all got chucked in @ flameout :

Recipe Overview

Style: British Golden Ale
ABV: 5%

Original Gravity (OG): 1.054
IBU's (Tinseth): 30
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.56
Colour: 11 EBC = 5.6 SRM

Volumes & Gravities

Total Water Needed (TWN): 35.24 L
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 20 L

The Grain Bill

92% Maris Otter (5.5 EBC = 2.8 SRM) 4799 grams = 10.58 pounds
4% Amber Malt (50 EBC = 25.4 SRM) 210 grams = 0.46 pounds
4% Torrified Wheat (4 EBC = 2 SRM) 210 grams = 0.46 pounds

The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)

21.1 IBU Challenger Pellets (7.8%AA) 25.8 grams = at 60 mins
First Gold Flowers 130.4 grams = at 10 mins
First Gold Flowers 130.4 grams = at 0 mins

Fermentation & Conditioning
Fermentation: WLP005 British Ale Yeast for 14 days at 19 C = 66.2 F

hazelbrew

Post by hazelbrew » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:26 pm

I "brewed" last night.

Didn't have a lot of time so this was kit and small boil with the hops. Quick and dirty. No idea if I will get that much hop character... but I can at least say I have brewed with my first ever hops :) Possible the yeast may dominate.

I went with:
1 Muntons Gold Pilsner kit
1 kg wheat extract
Mangrove Jacks M29 french saison yeast
185g hops.

i boiled the extract in about 4 litres water.
1/3rd hops for 15 minutes
2/3rd in at flameout. Added some cold water to bring temp down to 85C ish.
let it stand for 10 minutes.

then the whole lot strained onto the LME from the muntons kit.

quick blast with the paint stirrer for aeration and I was done.

Added the rehydrated yeast when it had got down to 28C (yes 28) and it is in the brew fridge now.

MJ29 is apparently similar or same to WY 3711?? We shall see what it gets down to.

I am expecting 6% saison style beer hopefully with some nuance or hit from my own hops.
Should be drinkable at any rate - nothing too complex or risky to go wrong AFAIK with the recipe.

MattyBoy

Post by MattyBoy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:39 pm

I've just picked about 400g of wild hops from a lane around the corner.

I'm planning to do a Coopers European Lager + 200-400g green hops or... Coopers Real Ale + 200-400g green hops

Any thoughts on green hop load in these kits and what might turn out better would be appreciated.

Cheers
Matty

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:14 pm

rely on dried packed hops with a known alpha % for the bitering, and use the green hops as late/flame out and perhaps dry additions for aroma imho..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

MattyBoy

Post by MattyBoy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:34 pm

Hope I've not hijacked Hazelbrews thread... he'll probably forgive after knowing me for 40 years :)

I've no idea what the hops are but I've gone with Coopers European Lager kit, 750 g Light DME, 1Kg Coopers Number 2 Enhancer with 100g wild hop boiled in 4.5 litres water with the Enhancer fotr 15 minutes then added the other 3-00g at flame out and steeped for 15 minutes.

Brewing at 22 litres with (hopefully) White Labs Funktown (a blend with some Brett) or if this doesn't start (it's 6 months out of date) I'll just pitch the coopers sachet.

God only knows what I'll end up with...

Anyways up it's a theoretical 1050 OG so it will end up 4.5-4.9% depending on attenuation

Matty

hazelbrew

Post by hazelbrew » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:20 am

hijack away... no problem with me.

I would probably pitch the coopers. it will finish quicker than the funktown blend. maybe take a gallon off to ferment separately with the funktown if you can. quicker ferment means you get to taste the hops sooner. and that is what this is all about, right?

my brew is now down to SG 1007. Tastes as you would expect for a one week old cloudy yeast-fest. have to make space in the garage for bottling in the week or next weekend. I think it will be done with primary ferment now.