"Goldings"

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
BenB

"Goldings"

Post by BenB » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:14 am

If we ignore Styrian Goldings (which of course is a Fuggles offshoot) are Goldings all the same? I've seen hops sold as

"Goldings"
"East Kent Goldings" (but the blurb explains they're grown in Worcester)
"Worcester Goldings"

The British Hop org describes "Goldings" and "EKG" as different and my LHBS sells them separately. So are they different varieties or does the EK bit more reference an AOC style terroir thing? In which case what happens if you grow an EKG in Worcester?

And Worcester Goldings- are they therefore the same as EKG? Or (if EKG and Goldings are different) are they non EKG Goldings grown in Worcester (referencing place of origin).

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Re: "Goldings"

Post by scuppeteer » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:54 pm

Goldings are derived of 10 different cultivars. Whilst those grown as EKG have had designated area of origin since 2006 they are very much the same as a Worcester in that cultivars, such as Whitebine, Mathon and Cobb are grown in both counties. Although the terroir will give slight differences. Those hops that are simply sold as Goldings are usually Early Choice, which are not a true Golding.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Eadweard » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:57 pm

Scupps just pipped me to what I was posting, but I've gone into this in depth on my blog: http://edsbeer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/g ... n-age.html

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:54 am

Surely if they are grown in Worcestershire they can't be sold as EKG.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:19 pm

rpt wrote:Surely if they are grown in Worcestershire they can't be sold as EKG.
That'll be why they're called Worcester Goldings! #-o
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:27 pm

I was referring to the OP's comment that he has seen EKG for sale that were grown in Worcestershire.

BenB

Post by BenB » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:05 pm

Yes, that's kind of what confused me! I think in retrospect I was reading listings for "Goldings" saying how they used to be grown only in East Kent but are now grown in Worcester and that's what made me think perhaps they all Goldings were the same and the only difference was soil type and that Goldings, EKG and Worcester Goldings were all the same. Or not. Looks like I was all confused :)

thanks for the links, interesting stuff!