the best

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
tickle

the best

Post by tickle » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:47 am

which hops would be the best ones to grow at home

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Re: the best

Post by BrannigansLove » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:48 pm

Depends on the space you have, if you don't have a lot, then a dwarf variety would probably be best.

tickle

Post by tickle » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:21 pm

BrannigansLove wrote:Depends on the space you have, if you don't have a lot, then a dwarf variety would probably be best.
I have a 20ftx15ft wood pergola which I would like to grow some over

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:38 pm

Well as you would not know the AA's of the hops I think most peeps grow for aroma. Well that's resulted in a few less choices. But some are dual, like challenger, which I do grow. But like most things grown, the soil plays a part in the final product, I have UK cascade, which are not like the usa type and are a later maturing type which can be a bit problematic with our weather.
So if I were to buy another type, it would be easy,early and reliable, so probably UK, heavy cropper type. But I'd also do some in pots that I could try if I could blag a few free cuttings off anybody close , ;9). And if I did not like them I would not have to dig up all those roots.
To Busy To Add,

BenB

Post by BenB » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:03 pm

I'd make sure it's Wilt Resistant- I grew 5 hops this year, some fuggles, some EKG and some styrian goldings. 4 out of 5 got clobbered with Wilt and died. Can't remember which one survived because my wife decided she hates the look of hops growing up our house....

I think a lot of Southern England suffers with wilt.

SMASH3R
Piss Artist

Post by SMASH3R » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:37 am

I love the aroma of first gold, and being a UK dwarf hop it's quite well suited to our climate.
Make sure the hops are in a dry spot in the garden with good sun, and keep the soil clean and clear around the base and keep about 2ft in height of stem trimmed free from off-shoots from the ground to encourage air circulation and drying. In the right spot on a south-facing fence in my parents old garden in the Pennines at altitude, they had a good few years of fuggles for me before they moved to the Isle of Wight. The first year in the IoW produced a bumper crop, but it's been terrible since then, with nothing at all to harvest that was any good.