BREXIT and HOP PRICES

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
minesapint
Piss Artist

BREXIT and HOP PRICES

Post by minesapint » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:16 pm

I was wondering if it is worth stock piling a load of our favourite European hops that we use for home brewing, before we leave the EEC.
The cost can only go up, I doubt that they will go down.
Will they still be allowed to trade in the future with the naughty British, or turn their backs on us and look to each other for customers?
I bet the big breweries are already looking into it.
Also how long will the hermetically sealed packs last?

Just another depressing thought. :cry:

Cheers all.

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Re: BREXIT and HOP PRICES

Post by simple one » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:38 pm

Us home growers could start doing some illicit trade. I have crossed a Saaz with a Goldings, thinking of calling it a Farage!

But seriously, US, NZ, AUS aren't in the EU. On a homebrew level the difference in price between UK vs EU vs rest of the world is pence (if anything at all).
I wouldn't worry. The main thing that pushes prices are hop shortages.

However it might spark a rise in the number of acres in the UK devoted to hops (doubt it though).

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:12 am

[quote="simple one"]thinking of calling it a Farage![quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant. =D>

On a serious note though, the only thing that will affect price is the exchange rate. Currently not that good, but looking at the latest prices I received today from Farams there isn't really much difference. Most are set at forward contract rates so the dip in the pound won't affect price, for this year at least.

And you will be pleased to know that acreage in the UK has actually increased this year for the first time in nearly a decade. By around 200 acres. :)
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:20 am

I'm not sure that exchange rate will be the only thing scupp.

Import duty may eventually come into play, as might government tariffs on Johnny Foreigner products that compete with UK grown produce.

We're still more than 2 years away from that happening though, and I'd imagine the electricity needed to keep a freezer full of hops at their best will cost more than what you'd save over that time.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

duncans

Post by duncans » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:20 pm

simple one wrote:Us home growers could start doing some illicit trade. I have crossed a Saaz with a Goldings, thinking of calling it a Farage!

But seriously, US, NZ, AUS aren't in the EU. On a homebrew level the difference in price between UK vs EU vs rest of the world is pence (if anything at all).
I wouldn't worry. The main thing that pushes prices are hop shortages.

However it might spark a rise in the number of acres in the UK devoted to hops (doubt it though).
Lol.
I looked into how to import US leaf hops into the UK/EU. Gave up fairly quickly as it looked like right nightmare. A US grower has to obtain an official Eu certificate from the local agriculture office before you can try to get it past customs. Non-EU countries could probably have just bought a pack direct and not had to worry about special EU certificates.