Describing hop flavour/aroma...

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Piscator

Describing hop flavour/aroma...

Post by Piscator » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:43 pm

Overthe years I have read and heard various hop descriptors used and a good many of them make sense to me.
I get the "dank" piney reference for hops like the CTZ family, citrus for some and stonefruit for others.

I have come to find that in English ale styles I have a VERY strong preference for like hops like Fuggles, Progress and especially WGV.
I often see descriptors such as "minty" and "grassy", "earthy" or "herbal" used for these types but have to admit I really don't get these references.

There is a quality in them that I don't have suitable words for but essentially it is what I would describe as "beer" flavour and aroma - interestingly I have also noticed Dave Line used a similar "beery bouquet" descriptor in his writing too.

So how would the esteemed membership of JBK describe these hop flavours and aromas?
Last edited by Piscator on Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexlark
Under the Table

Re: Describing hop flavour/aroma...

Post by alexlark » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:17 pm

I must admit I'm like you. I know what I'm looking for in an hoppy IPA but I'm a little lost when it comes to English styles. I know what I like when I taste it but it's hard to be very descriptive as they are very subtle compared to a hoppy pale ale.

Frothy

Re: Describing hop flavour/aroma...

Post by Frothy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:36 pm

Tasting descriptors are very subjective. Associations will also be different from country to country and personal experiences i.e. what we regard as typical mint in the uk may be different to France or USA etc. May be worth looking up a hop or general beer "flavour wheel" - Id like to get my hands on one of those

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk