Hop Growing 2017

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
injac
Hollow Legs

Re: Hop Growing 2017

Post by injac » Sun May 21, 2017 10:38 pm

Another Yorkshire grower here. My first time growing them but I bought a few of these as rhizomes from a bloke locall6 who had already had a few years out of them. To the left of the doors are First Gold, on the right is Cascade which is going like the clappers and just peeking up next to that you'll see some EKG. Final photo is some Challenger.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
In the FV:
NEIPA with Apollo/Vic Secret/Citra

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:43 pm

some of my leaves are going a bit strange, anything to be worried about? Plant looks pretty healthy otherwise

googling makes me think it's downy mildew :x

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:03 pm

It looks more like bruising, are they close to anything that they can hit if its windy? If in doubt just removed the affected leaves and keep an eye on the rest of the bine.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:07 am

Not those leaves, but it is in quite a windy spot

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it :)

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:37 pm

It's been windy the last few wks, my hops have taken a bashing, :shock: but not the one in the poly tunnel,.... #-o
To Busy To Add,

Kohoutec
Steady Drinker

Post by Kohoutec » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:10 pm

Here's my First Gold. I think they're doing okay although this is the first year I tried growing hops so no point of reference.Image

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:45 pm

I lost the 2 lead bine heads on my 1st year Cascade during the recent high winds - my fault as I hadn't gotten around to 'wiring' it up and it had outgrown the cane it was on and was flappinmg about. Wired it up properly like my Fuggles (1st Year) (Prima Donna and Northdown - both 2nd year, training through our Apple tree) and, given I've read in several places that unless you get a brand new shoot to train you're stuck, just thought let it get through the season as is and take better care next year.

However, the top side shoots on both bines are training themselves up the wire without any input from me. I expect they may only get as high as their usual lateral length but it is interesting they have taken the initiatve to immediately grow vertically with no lateral growth on them at all.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:08 am

Meatymc wrote:I lost the 2 lead bine heads on my 1st year Cascade during the recent high winds - my fault as I hadn't gotten around to 'wiring' it up and it had outgrown the cane it was on and was flappinmg about. Wired it up properly like my Fuggles (1st Year) (Prima Donna and Northdown - both 2nd year, training through our Apple tree) and, given I've read in several places that unless you get a brand new shoot to train you're stuck, just thought let it get through the season as is and take better care next year.

However, the top side shoots on both bines are training themselves up the wire without any input from me. I expect they may only get as high as their usual lateral length but it is interesting they have taken the initiatve to immediately grow vertically with no lateral growth on them at all.
When the bine snaps like this, look out for the laterals that grow from just below where it's broken. If one is smaller than the other pinch off the smaller one and the longest will take over. This will become the lead head if you like and will continue to grow as though nothing happened. You may not get quite as good a crop as before the incident but it helps the plant mature better in order to produce cones.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Cheers scuppeter. I've now lost the head of the lead lateral and one of my Prima Donna's is likewise affected. Having seen my peas attacked by birds looking for insects (despite them being 'netted') I suspect they are also having a go at my hops. Not purposefully ripping growth off - just a result of some over zealous 'beak-work'.

Hey ho.

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:14 am

After working abroad on and off for last 2 months I'm finally back in the UK for a bit.

First port of call, check on the hops (kids can come after that).

All pretty good.
Established fuggle has a bit of wilt in some leaves. Hoping it's just neglect and not v. wilt

Man I should have made that frame bigger though!ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:28 am

BigMouth wrote:Love the pics Stewb!
Being in Yorkshire too I will have to post some of my EKG (cobbs), fuggles and prima donna (first gold) all about to start year 2. All look very strong.
Cascade is but a twig with some green atm but it is early in year 1 and forming roots. I have 4 more prima donna at a very early stage (greenhouse).
Will get some pics on here soon from God's own county.
And btw climate change- it doesn't exist. The planet is simply moving her axis :D
Thanks- how are yours going now?

My fuggle is the most rampant at 6-7m to the leading bine tip, but the prima Donna is the one I'm most pleased with after rescuing from the building rubble. Still only 2.5m but really bushy and healthy looking. EKG is dinky, but I was afraid it hadn't taken

We have a good sheltered walled garden Spot for them, and are in the Wetherby microclimate so definitely have a spot for them making them think they are at least 100miles south!

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:18 pm

We have flowers forming!ImageImageImageImage

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:21 pm

Lovely pictures.

I am looking to grow for next year. How big a frame would you suggest for six hop plants?

Thanks

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:38 am

Manngold wrote:Lovely pictures.

I am looking to grow for next year. How big a frame would you suggest for six hop plants?

Thanks
How large can you afford to go? I've planted with about 80cm separation between the rhizomes and that seems about right from general plant bushing- 70cm to 1m probably.

My frame is about 3.3m high and that's probably as high as I can go without pissing of my neighbours, but the hops themselves want almost twice that.

The pain of going high but not that high is I still have to do a lot of training, but I'm doing it up a ladder, but the plants seem to enjoy the air and light.

If you can do something against a house then that may be easiest

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:38 am

Thanks for the advice Stewb. I guess I am lucky as I don't have to worry too much about neighbors. But I think I could only manage to go 3 meters, the wife might say something if it went 7!! I am looking at going for 4 - 6 hop plants to begin with, as the garden isn't massive.