Hop Growing 2017

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Hop Growing 2017

Post by scuppeteer » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:56 pm

It would appear that last years thread is still being used, so as per tradition here is this years! Post away!!! :D

I have made a proper effort this year with my "Garden". I got 2 16' chestnut poles from my friend which went in before Doris hit. They're still standing and haven't moved, so very pleased they went in the ground far enough. Screw pegs are in place and next weekends job is to screw some batton to the poles, put the top wire and hooks on and then string.

I am terrible for finding wild bines that grow locally. So currently I have 1 mother, 2 daughters and a son plus two other randoms. One Sussex and one White Grape with space for 2 or 3 more this Spring. Thinking maybe an Endeavour or Jester as well. 8)
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Re: Hop Growing 2017

Post by Jambo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:27 pm

Good thinking.

Mine was starting to show some new shoots about a month ago which IMO is far too early for up here - decided to cover it with about 3" of nice rich compost which will also have given it some frost protection. Hasn't made its way through that yet.

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:15 pm

First shoots are sprouting up here in Yorkshire

The mount hood led the way, but signs of life in fuggles, cascade and Chinook shortly after too

Have gone a bit industrial this year with the new hop frame made from some old beams freed up by renovations

IMG_20170226_134549.jpg
Have sacrificed the veg patch and gone a bit bigger than SWMBO had thought, so need to get digging for the new veg patch

Planted out a selection, so hopefully a variety of cuttings to potentially share later this year
IMG_20161026_171219.jpg
Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

timothy
Steady Drinker

Post by timothy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:46 pm

Warm winter and spring so far, but rude awakening this morning. Centennial and Nugget in Missouri.

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:35 pm

Had a look at my Chinook this morning..12 new shoots sprouting up..one is already a good 2 inches out of tb3 ground

k1100t
Piss Artist

Post by k1100t » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:23 am

No idea what this hop is, my wife came home with it from the school fair last year.
Best get it in the ground and hope it's usable...

I like beer --- Currently rebuilding the brewery, this time with stainless...

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:08 am

There's a lot of green on that old bine, is that ok?
Never enough time...

k1100t
Piss Artist

Post by k1100t » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:54 am

Bad 'Ed wrote:There's a lot of green on that old bine, is that ok?
That will be chopped off this weekend when I plant it out somewhere. It's currently in a pot...

Cheers,

Bob.
I like beer --- Currently rebuilding the brewery, this time with stainless...

wanus
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by wanus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:05 pm

Can any of you guys n galls tell me would beer kits benefit from home grown hops.I only do kits but have been thinking about growing my own hops but i`m not greenfingered and don`t know where n when to start........ :mrgreen:
FV 1:Empty
FV 2:Empty
Demi 1&2:Empty
Demi 3&4:Empty
Maturing: Bastard builders brew
Bottle conditioning: Bastard builders brew
Drinking:McEwan's
Planning:More 🍺

Keep yer pecker hard and yer powder dry.

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:06 pm

wanus wrote:Can any of you guys n galls tell me would beer kits benefit from home grown hops.I only do kits but have been thinking about growing my own hops but i`m not greenfingered and don`t know where n when to start........ :mrgreen:
Beer kits definitely can benefit from a little extra hop kick/ life- either as a dry hop or through making a little "hop tea" (Google this but easiest way i found was steeping hops in a cafetiere for 10/ 15 mins before plunging and throwing the liquid in as you make the kit

Messing about like this was my first step from kit to all grain... I have a spare starter 3v set now I've been upgrading if you want to start down the dark path on the cheap!

As to green hops in a kit- i don't know. I'd plant the hops now, and get a packet of dried hops in to start farting about with immediately. By the time you have a crop of hops you can brew with in 18 months (they tend to take to their second season to start producing) i guarantee, if still interested in brewing, you'll be playing with extract or BIAB as a minimum, and you'll definitely want to be making your own green hop ale!

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:12 pm

You can put hops in pretty much any kit, it's more important to choose what style of hops to grow. As you're currently doing kits, I'd grow hops which can be used to dry hop, but can also grow in the UK - like goldings or cascade.
Never enough time...

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:07 pm

k1100t wrote:No idea what this hop is, my wife came home with it from the school fair last year.
Best get it in the ground and hope it's usable...

That's a rough looking bine, wouldn't want to be picking acres of those! :shock:

Post a pic later in the year, then we can guess if its a high or low Alpha depending on the colour of the bine. :)
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

wanus

Post by wanus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:54 pm

I do add xtra hop pellets to my kits but as i say i would like to grow my own.I have room to grow but none to do all grain :roll:

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:59 pm

wanus wrote:I do add xtra hop pellets to my kits but as i say i would like to grow my own.I have room to grow but none to do all grain :roll:
Fuggle has taken best for me in Yorkshire- EKG seems a little fragile/ delicate for my clod fisted gardening

The shoots are coming on strong still, particularly after that extremely spring like weekend

wanus

Post by wanus » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:55 pm

Lookin gud stewb.