Tubs / Containers for hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Dave.T
Steady Drinker

Tubs / Containers for hops

Post by Dave.T » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:29 pm

Hello all,
I am splitting and re siting some of my hop plants, i'm thinking of putting them in a tub / container so that the roots don't spread too far. Can anyone advise what size tub would be big enough.
Regards Dave.

BenB

Re: Tubs / Containers for hops

Post by BenB » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:38 pm

Big! They need food and water. A small tub isn't going to kill them but it's not going to be good for them. I grew my hops last year in 30cm square (and approx the same deep) pots. They started well but started showing signs of stress early on. They've all started growing again this year so I haven't killed them but they weren't happy bunnies. I think in retrospect 40-50 would be better.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:44 pm

Big as you can get! Minimum 18". And don't forget to water and feed regularly in the Summer.

But be careful, I went to move my Sussex last Spring. The bugger had gone through the bottom of the pot and rooted itself, surprisingly it stayed where it was!

I know everyone has restrictions especially if SWMBO is involved but they really do much better in the ground. Also bine weevil can be a real problem, they seem to love potted plants but won't touch anything in the ground.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Dave.T
Steady Drinker

Post by Dave.T » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:05 am

Thanks for the reply's,if i went down the pot route i was thinking maybe one of the 42L trugs that you can get from the likes ofToolstation.