how much and when

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
tickle

how much and when

Post by tickle » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:37 pm

right guys
I am thinking of making a English strong ale
so how do you workout the hops
the amount and when to add them to the boil

gaunt_paul
Steady Drinker

Re: how much and when

Post by gaunt_paul » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:39 pm

Using software to calculate bitterness makes this quite simple. All you have to decide is how bitter you think it should be and it will do the maths. Check out beersmith for example. Alternatively there are recipes all over this forum

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

tickle

Post by tickle » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:46 pm

gaunt_paul wrote:Using software to calculate bitterness makes this quite simple. All you have to decide is how bitter you think it should be and it will do the maths. Check out beersmith for example. Alternatively there are recipes all over this forum

thanks for that but I think after 26 members looked at my topic some other member would
had said the same or something to help out

gaunt_paul
Steady Drinker

Post by gaunt_paul » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:57 pm

I think that may be because your question COULD warrant an extremely long answer, which there is no right or wrong solution too. Adding hops is a much bigger area of knowledge than it might seem if you're as obsessive as a lot of us are.

If you're getting into making recipes, there are loads of great books that will be right up your street. I strongly recommend "brew your own British real ale" by graham wheeler. It covers the basic techniques and theory and has a load of good recipes too. I got my copy in a waterstones, so it's quite an easy one to find.

joe1002
Piss Artist

Post by joe1002 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:11 pm

tickle wrote:thanks for that but I think after 26 members looked at my topic some other member would
had said the same or something to help out
Ever thought it might be because you keep writing things like this?

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:05 pm

what if those 26 people were inexperienced brewers and just looking for advice and information themselves, just with the initiative to research the HUGE amount of information already out there themselves and not demand it spoonfed from others.. ?
dazzled, doused in gin..

DaveyT
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DaveyT » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:56 pm

I don't tend to add bittering hops. I like buying hops more frequently than I can brew, plus I love the taste of them. So I've got loads of hops tht need sticking into my beers and I like beers with loads stuck of hops in them.

I tend to add them 15, 10 and 5 min before the end of the boil and I always dry hop. No matter what style. If i think it's unnecessary, I use noble hops. I also find hops come in threes so I'll think of three that will sit well together and blend them.

Hope that helps.
Evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs.
Bill Hicks

keith1664

Post by keith1664 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:43 pm

DaveyT wrote:I don't tend to add bittering hops. I like buying hops more frequently than I can brew, plus I love the taste of them. So I've got loads of hops tht need sticking into my beers and I like beers with loads stuck of hops in them.

I tend to add them 15, 10 and 5 min before the end of the boil and I always dry hop. No matter what style. If i think it's unnecessary, I use noble hops. I also find hops come in threes so I'll think of three that will sit well together and blend them.

Hope that helps.
I think you're limiting yourself with the hops there, a first wort hop will lend a smooth bitterness to the beer and help prevent boil over in the copper. You could also split the dry hop and add a load early in the ferment so you'll get the biotransformation of the hop oils for that juicy hop flavour, then a second dry hop for aroma.

So first wort, hop blasting at 15,10 and 5 minutes and then 2 loads of dry hops.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

DaveyT

Post by DaveyT » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:08 pm

FWH? I'll give it a go. Good suggestion.

I tend to split my dry hop but only to ensure the all get a good soak after finding loads of untouched, dry hops when I bottled my first attempt. When would you suggest? I think the earliest for me was five days into fermentation.
Bill Hicks

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:51 pm

DaveyT wrote:FWH? I'll give it a go. Good suggestion.

I tend to split my dry hop but only to ensure the all get a good soak after finding loads of untouched, dry hops when I bottled my first attempt. When would you suggest? I think the earliest for me was five days into fermentation.
Is that because you used "leaf" hops? I'm coming to the conclusion that dry hopping with pellets is the best solution, until Lupulin powder becomes available, might just be a game changer.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

keith1664

Post by keith1664 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:25 pm

First lot while fermentation is active so around 2 days, second when it's died down.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

keith1664

Post by keith1664 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:27 pm

orlando wrote:

Is that because you used "leaf" hops? I'm coming to the conclusion that dry hopping with pellets is the best solution, until Lupulin powder becomes available, might just be a game changer.
The problem I have with pellets is not transferring them into the glass, even with a mesh over the syphon.
And they also seem to prefer to float on the top, even with crash cooling.

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:56 am

keith1664 wrote:
orlando wrote:

The problem I have with pellets is not transferring them into the glass, even with a mesh over the syphon.
And they also seem to prefer to float on the top, even with crash cooling.
Finings will deal with that.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:36 am

For me, Pellet dry hops (like whole hops) will usually decide to sink and/or remain properly floating, leaving the majority of beer in between top and bottom largely free of them without any special measures. Though I do stir the dry hops occasionally to help them infuse, and wonder if this may also encourage them to sink if they're going to.

That said, I generally keg (even if bottling, the beer gets matured and cleared in a keg for a bit first). So perhaps I'm just not being as fastidious as would be necessary if bottling direct from the fermenter.
Kev

DaveyT

Post by DaveyT » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:09 pm

Leaf hops were the ones that didn't even get wet. I made a number of errors there, though, not least in deciding to use a hop bag. Now I've worked out how I can swill the FV to get them mixed up nicely.

I love using pellets. The middle ground between floaters and fallers is great. I bought a really nice mesh from Brew UK that fits over my syphon tube a treat, too. Used it last night and didn't have a 'stuck' syphin at all. Saved me a good half an hour as that always happened.

In Hops by Hieronymous, he talks about the problems breweries have in administering hops and says many create a slurry or sludge. That powder could be the way forward. Like green tea powder. Maybe the way that's made might be the key!

David
Bill Hicks