American Citrus

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Tensbrewer

American Citrus

Post by Tensbrewer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:12 pm

Hi there

I recently enjoyed a glass of Brewdog Elvis Juice and also make a couple of brews of my own with Amarillo and Citra to get those citrussy tropical fruit flavours going on. Seeing the hops in Elvis Juice on the Brewdog website made me think of giving something with Simcoe and Mosaic in as well as Citra and Amarillo. I want a good hit of citrus flavour but also want the stuff t be palatable and not have me sucking in my cheeks. I am aiming therefore for something in the high thirties/forty for IBU and c6.5% ABV but hoping to get lots of flavour from late hope additions, plus a bit of dry hopping in the conditioning tank.

Does the hopping schedule below look sensible or is the power of Simcoe/Mosaic just too strong for these late hop additions in a 36l batch? Any views welcomed......

Recipe
Americano Citrus Juice 36 litres
Pale Malt (kg) 9
Crystal Malt 0
Black Malt 0
Porridge Oats 0.712

Wheat (kg) 0.496

First Hopping Amarillo (g) 49.6
Second Hopping Simcoe 10 mins to go 20
Second Hopping Mosaic 20
Third Hopping Citra Flameout 20
Third Hopping Mosaic 20
Third hopping Simcoe 20

Frothy

Re: American Citrus

Post by Frothy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:17 pm

Sounds epic. You could go 50 or 60IBU's even.
Flame out has always been an ambiguous step to me- is that 5 minutes steep or 30 minutes?
Elvis Juice also has citrus fruit in the fermenter (recipe in their pdf)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:24 am

Frothy wrote: Elvis Juice also has citrus fruit in the fermenter (recipe in their pdf)
It does. An alternative can be had here.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Tensbrewer

Post by Tensbrewer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:41 am

Thanks for these comments, I am a bit old fashioned and shrink in fear from the idea of bunging peel in my beer! My flameout hopping will give a steep of about 40 mins.

What do you think of the scale of late hopping proposed with the flavour "strength" and profile of these hops will it just be way too much or just give a nice bang of the flavour of these varieties?

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:57 am

Tensbrewer wrote:Thanks for these comments, I am a bit old fashioned and shrink in fear from the idea of bunging peel in my beer!
Brewdog don't and they're allegedly worth a Billion. :lol:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Tensbrewer

Post by Tensbrewer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:27 pm

Fair point.... I'm not worth a billion....

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:19 pm

orlando wrote:
Tensbrewer wrote:Thanks for these comments, I am a bit old fashioned and shrink in fear from the idea of bunging peel in my beer!
Brewdog don't and they're allegedly worth a Billion. Image
I imagine they pasteurise to get around any micro issues

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk