Not hops, but lovage

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Stewb

Not hops, but lovage

Post by Stewb » Sun May 07, 2017 8:35 am

I've currently got lovage going absolutely crazy in our garden. Have used it to cook in a variety of ways; but as with any good burgeoning alcoholic... I mean brewer.... My mind turned to beer and the fact it has a good bitterness, a hint of aniseed.

So thinking about brewing with it:

Anyone on here used lovage before? If so would you recommend leaf or seed? Steep it in vodka or throw into the boil?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

gregles
Steady Drinker

Re: Not hops, but lovage

Post by gregles » Sun May 07, 2017 9:08 am

A quick google shows lovage ale was popular up till the 1930's as a gruit

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Gx5 ... it&f=false

gregles
Steady Drinker

Post by gregles » Sun May 07, 2017 9:11 am

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:22 pm

Cheers Gregles. Not sure how I missed your responses. May need to experiment a bit to find right amounts.

My attempts at nettle beer suggest this is one to go for as small batch only!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BackO'Th'Shed

Post by BackO'Th'Shed » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:17 pm

I attempted a gruit recently - heather ale bittered with yarrow and bog myrtle. Whilst it turned out reasonably well, it made me appreciate why hops are so commonplace in beers today. I filled a 4.5g cask, but unfortunately it had turned before I was 1/4 of the way through it so I had to pour about 15 litres down the drain. Definitely worthwhile kegging or bottling if you go ahead with a gruit. The resulting beer didn't have the same bitterness to balance the malt sweetness that you usually expect in a beer so I'd go easy on any crystal malts (I added 400g red crystal, which I'd leave out if I brewed this again).

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:48 pm

Yeah every time I've tried a commercial gruit it makes me more thankful for hops :) some are fine, williams bros make a couple that are decent like Grozet (also has gooseberries in it I think) but they seem to lack the finesse of the bittering you get with hops I think - it's a bit rougher round the edges but they weren't particularly bitter beers if you get me

Good luck though, I'm sure you'll make a fine beer