Hop Storage

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Dave S
Even further under the Table

Re: Hop Storage

Post by Dave S » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:06 pm

richard080561 wrote:
republicofbeer wrote:
Manngold wrote:I generally tend to freeze mine once opened and make sure I keep labels on them. Judging by your quantities you may need an entire freezer!
Yes I put them in the freezer. The opened bag got split into 500g bundles, purged with CO2 then vacuum packed. Fingers crossed that keeps them good for 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why purge them with CO2 and then vacuum pack them? Aren't you just sucking out all the CO2 you just put in?
The idea is to push the oxygen out with the CO2, then Vac Pac. So it doesn't matter at that stage if the CO2 is sucked out. How effective it is is another matter
Best wishes

Dave

republicofbeer

Post by republicofbeer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:09 pm

Dave S wrote:
richard080561 wrote:
republicofbeer wrote: Yes I put them in the freezer. The opened bag got split into 500g bundles, purged with CO2 then vacuum packed. Fingers crossed that keeps them good for 6 months.

Why purge them with CO2 and then vacuum pack them? Aren't you just sucking out all the CO2 you just put in?
The idea is to push the oxygen out with the CO2, then Vac Pac. So it doesn't matter at that stage if the CO2 is sucked out. How effective it is is another matter
That was my thinking. In the grand scheme a little wasted co2 costs very little

AFewTooMany

Post by AFewTooMany » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:53 pm

We do a lot less in work with our hops and they last pretty well, although we obviously don't break the bags into smaller quantities. You will be grand keeping them cool and out of the light. Out of curiosity what did you get and where'd you pick them up?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

republicofbeer

Post by republicofbeer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:34 pm

I got Chinook, cascade, simcoe and Columbus. I got them from Charles Faram.