Hop Storage

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
republicofbeer

Hop Storage

Post by republicofbeer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:21 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've got 20kg of pellets coming Friday and wondered what the best way to store them would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Re: Hop Storage

Post by simple one » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:29 pm

Split them in to manageable and usable sizes depending on brewlength and hop usage, vacuum pack them. Then stick them in the freezer. Make sure the labeling is robust and has type, year and AA% on them.

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by simple one » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:30 pm

20 kg is quite a lot.....

republicofbeer

Post by republicofbeer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:27 am

Yes it is. I'm brewing 100 - 150 ltr batches, 3 times a month. Buying in 100g pouches from home brew shops is far too expensive.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:33 am

Get the Andrew James vac packer off Amazon/eBay and some big vac bags.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:15 pm

Better still, sell me some ! :lol: 8)
To Busy To Add,

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:01 pm

This is a home-brew forum, mate. No offence intended, but if you're ordering 20kg batches of hops, you need to know WTF you're doing =D>

republicofbeer

Post by republicofbeer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:55 pm

McMullan wrote:This is a home-brew forum, mate. No offence intended, but if you're ordering 20kg batches of hops, you need to know WTF you're doing =D>
Well that's a rather unhelpful reply. I thought the idea of forums was to get advise and help not to insult new members, maybe I'm wrong....

When it comes to brewing I do know what I'm doing, however I have never had the need to store any hops before as I have always had them delivered just before use hence not knowing the best way. The internet is full of contradictory information and in an attempt to discover I mistakenly thought asking advise on a "friendly" forum would assist me.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:08 pm

I generally tend to freeze mine once opened and make sure I keep labels on them. Judging by your quantities you may need an entire freezer!

republicofbeer

Post by republicofbeer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:24 pm

Manngold wrote:I generally tend to freeze mine once opened and make sure I keep labels on them. Judging by your quantities you may need an entire freezer!
Yes I put them in the freezer. The opened bag got split into 500g bundles, purged with CO2 then vacuum packed. Fingers crossed that keeps them good for 6 months.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:22 pm

republicofbeer wrote: The internet is full of contradictory information and in an attempt to discover I mistakenly thought asking advise on a "friendly" forum would assist me.
the definition of insanity is to keep asking the same question and expecting a different outcome, apparently :wink:

for all its worth, i've had no issues just chucking them in the freezer.
Last edited by jaroporter on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dazzled, doused in gin..

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:56 pm

republicofbeer wrote:
McMullan wrote:This is a home-brew forum, mate. No offence intended, but if you're ordering 20kg batches of hops, you need to know WTF you're doing =D>
Well that's a rather unhelpful reply. I thought the idea of forums was to get advise and help not to insult new members, maybe I'm wrong....

When it comes to brewing I do know what I'm doing, however I have never had the need to store any hops before as I have always had them delivered just before use hence not knowing the best way. The internet is full of contradictory information and in an attempt to discover I mistakenly thought asking advise on a "friendly" forum would assist me.

I don't think it was ment to insult, there's lots of phrases that can be taken in the wrong context. IMHO this is one of them :wink:

Edit: ps,,it's always good to introduce yourself in the guestbook area,
Cheers
WD
To Busy To Add,

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:18 pm

republicofbeer wrote:
Manngold wrote:I generally tend to freeze mine once opened and make sure I keep labels on them. Judging by your quantities you may need an entire freezer!
Yes I put them in the freezer. The opened bag got split into 500g bundles, purged with CO2 then vacuum packed. Fingers crossed that keeps them good for 6 months.

Why purge them with CO2 and then vacuum pack them? Aren't you just sucking out all the CO2 you just put in?
Richard M
Cardiff

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:07 am

SMaSHing, I guess.

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:09 am

Wow 500-800 pints a month, fair play if you can drink all that.

When bulk buying, I vac pac into 500g bags and stick them in the freezer. Pellets take up less freezer space.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk