Kazbek Hop

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
grmski

Kazbek Hop

Post by grmski » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:44 am

I've stumbled onto this hop variety as i was browsing that I haven't heard of beforehttp://amzn.to/2tnmNwo it's described as being spicy lemoney and in the 5-8%aa range so I guess it would be used as finishing hop perhaps not dissimilar to styrian goldings, has anyone tried it or know of a commercial beer that brewed with it? My brew list is long so I'd rather not waste my time on something that's not worthwhile so any feedback that anyone has would be gratefully received.

Cheers

charliemartin
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Kazbek Hop

Post by charliemartin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:23 pm

I brewed a smash beer with them a couple of years ago. They were okay, but nothing special. The beer improved as it aged and as is usually the case the last few bottles were the best. As long as you're not expecting an American pale hop bomb you should be okay.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Altonrea Homebrew

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:26 pm

I've brewed with it and tasted it in two commercial beers (that I know of). It was Introduced by Czech breeders in 2008 from Saaz and wild Russian hops. Reasonably high alpha acids, 5-8%, but mainly used for aroma. Fairly predictable German noble traits overall, supplemented by very subtle lemon and orange citrus, mint, tropical fruit, spice. I loved it in a malty red lager.

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:48 pm

Please tell me you called it ‘Rock the Kazbek?’
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:15 pm

lord.president wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:48 pm
Please tell me you called it ‘Rock the Kazbek?’
Heh, heh. No, they beat you to it:
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/redemptio ... ek/204737/
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/barewolf- ... ek/543231/

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Pah!
I made a coffee’cocolate stout years ago and called it Mocha Chocolata-ayah afterthe line in the Moulin Rouge song.

Gutted to find a commercial beer last year called the seme.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:58 pm

yeah i thought i was pretty clever calling mine Rock the Kazbek a few years back. i've seen so many with that name since i'm not so sure now..
actually is an excellent hop, if i didn't have a freezerful of challenger and simcoe i might have actually got back to it again
dazzled, doused in gin..