Traditional varieties, location or 'pot' luck?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Traditional varieties, location or 'pot' luck?

Post by Meatymc » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:05 pm

In late 2015 I bought 2 hop rhizomes having asked the question of the supplier what is best suited to grow where I am - North Yorkshire. They suggested Northdown and Prima Donna which I understand to be better known as First Gold.

Both had to be planted in pots as we were moving house but both took off well enough in 2016. The harvest was low but that was expected given year 1 and in pots but the Northdown was considerably the better of the 2.

Last year I was bought 2 further rhizomes as a present - a Fuggles and a Cascade, which I was able to plant straight into the ground. I wasn't able however to plant the original 2 - the areas I want them in not being anywhere near ready until just recently so they stayed in pots for their 2nd year.

In this 2nd year the Northdown has done beserk - taking over the apple tree the pot is under, whilst the Prima Donna is better than the previous year but still a very poor 2nd

The 2016 Fuggles is almost as vigorous as the Northdown with the lead bine now over 25 feet - the Cascade is about a 3rd as vigorous.

So just wondered if this was because the Fuggles and Northdown might be older varieties or is it all pot luck?

Stewb

Re: Traditional varieties, location or 'pot' luck?

Post by Stewb » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:16 pm

It is a combination- don't forget prima Donna is a dwarf variety so never going to run as high.

Of the ones I have in the fuggle is oldest and best established but Styrian Golding has gone wild for a first year rhyzome, but cascade, Chinook, Perle all going really well.

I tend to look for disease resistance first then matching natural range climate to mine as best as possible seems to workImageImage

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:40 pm

Cheers Stewb. I know Prima is a dwarf - its just so weak and wimpy compared to the Northdown

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:01 pm

My prima Donna has taken 3 years to start getting really bushy. In now hits 12-14ft to tips (not bad for a dwarf!) And is pretty bushy (see pic)

I put slowness down to the abuse it had had from me, but I guess it could be slow to establish naturally.

I have found Golding variants generally a bit slower than fuggle variants as an unscientific observation

I'm a similar latitude to you in part planting position in good sun and we'll sheltered can make a massive difference too when comparing us with down southImage

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:25 am

Hi Stewb

Interesting info' - maybe I'm just too impatient!

As you say we're close to each other but it does look as though your soil is better - ours is heavy clay and a nightmare to drain. The Northdown and Prima will be planted in Winter and although I can improve the 'soil' overall, there's no point in replacing the clay altogether with a decent loam and putting in deep drainage as it simply fills with water from the surrounding area.

Hopeful I'll have a good stock this year but next year and the year after are going to be the measure of how well I can do up here.