Boil hop pellets in the fermenter?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Norik
Piss Artist

Boil hop pellets in the fermenter?

Post by Norik » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:59 am

Whats your opinion on transferring the boil hops (pellets) from your kettle to the fermenter along with your wort?
I imagine that whole hops could be a pain, but hop pellets should just compact down into the trub, but what do you think?

I'm considering doing away with hop bags/spiders just to make cleaning up easier at the end of the day.
Litany For Beer
I must drink the Beer.
Beer is the mind-killer.
Beer is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my Beer.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the Beer has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Hitchens's Razor:
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Boil hop pellets in the fermenter?

Post by Kev888 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:46 am

It can be done, but depends on the capability of your pump and and any in-line cooler. A chugger and decent bore of pipework can just about manage if the pellets are reasonably sloppy, a solar pump and/or plate chiller, not so much. So most people who avoid filters or hop sacks implement a whirlpool to keep the worst of the matter from being transferred. You may find the process less efficient too, since all the extra sediment in the FV tends to remain quite soupy - so avoiding getting it in the keg/bottle can leave a fair bit of wort behind with it, especially compared to the minimal losses from a drained/squeezed hop sack.

My opinion is that I wouldn't intentionally do it without a fairly effective whirlpool 'unless' transferring to a conical FV, from which it can soon be dumped, or to an intermediary settling tank from which it can soon be racked. Lots of green matter in the wort/beer for very long periods isn't great and nor is hot break (though cold break is not so bad).

There is some pseudo-science in the form of a Brulosophy webpage that people inevitably trot out on these occasions, but it means very little outside of the specific scenario they used and the (incomplete) scope of their results assessment. Whilst one could choose not to worry about masses of hot break and other boil-related crud in the FV, it is generically 'not' best practice - so IMO worth testing for yourself first, to see if it is acceptable to you in your own process, including stability in storage (if you keep it for any length of time) and with your more subtle brews. Rather than (say) just early taste tests of highly hopped beers.
Kev

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:58 pm

perhaps you could just relax a tad with the urgency of cleaning hop spiders and bags, if left to dry with residual hop/break matter in place you can simply flex n brush(for SS mesh) and then a quick shake in the wind will remove all the debris for you, my old SS braid hop filter would benefit from a 2nd wetting /dry/flex cycle but a nylon grain bag is a single cycle job. all you need do post brew is remove most of the hop matter and hang up to dry then next day spend 2-3 mins de dusting em outside in the wind.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:00 pm

btw hop socks (the knitted tube variety) are imho single use disposable items unlike nylon mesh which can be cleaned, but life is just way too short to pick stems n seeds from the fabric of a woven tube..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Norik
Piss Artist

Post by Norik » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to weigh things up.
The problem with leaving things to clean later, is that is a slippery slope, and with my memory there is a good chance I'll just plain forget until the next brewday :/.

What about using a BIAB bag to line the whole kettle?
Litany For Beer
I must drink the Beer.
Beer is the mind-killer.
Beer is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my Beer.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the Beer has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Hitchens's Razor:
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

RobP

Post by RobP » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:07 pm

I put a fine kitchen sieve in the run-off from boiler to fermenter. When it gets clogged I tap the contents back into the boiler and rinse with boiling water. Works well enough.

uminocha
Sober

Post by uminocha » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:29 pm

[quote="RobP"]I put a fine kitchen sieve in the run-off from boiler to fermenter. When it gets clogged I tap the contents back into the boiler and rinse with boiling water. Works well enough.[/quote]Not sure what you're trying to achieve. You would be transferring hops along w the hot break whose transfer from kettle to fermenter is to be avoided/minimized.

Also, hops in the fermenter for do long would extract vegetal flavor.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk