Is Cascade more susceptible to pests?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Is Cascade more susceptible to pests?

Post by Meatymc » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:06 pm

Having harvested my Fuggles, Northdown and half my Prima Donna/First Gold, I had a look at my 1st year Cascade to find it's inundated with aphids. There hasn't been anything of note on the others and my other Prima Donna/First Gold, ready to pick tonight, is also totally clear.

Given they are all grown withing 30 feet of each other is there a reason why only the Cascade is affected - or is it known for it?

McMullan

Re: Is Cascade more susceptible to pests?

Post by McMullan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:16 pm

I've had apple trees with aphid infestations while neighbouring trees were not colonised by the bugs. I think it's more random colonisation events than anything else. Spraying with dilute washing-up liquid solution helps, if you spot it early on. If they haven't had much of an impact on the plant, spray the buggers now. They should drop off quite quickly.

Edit: if you bought the Cascade as a plant, I'd bet the aphid eggs were already on it :(

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:48 pm

McMullan wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:16 pm
Edit: if you bought the Cascade as a plant, I'd bet the aphid eggs were already on it :(
Unlikely as the hop aphid is generally asexual and eggs would have become adults several months ago. They only live about a month overall anyway.

Certain varieties are more favourable to pests, but it's so late in the season now, they won't a problem for the cones. Before the plants go into burr is when problems arise. Cascade in particular is a favourite of Rabbits in the Spring, so there must be something in the genetics that they like.

Pick the cones and as they start to dry the aphid will bugger off anyway as they only like fresh meat as it were. :wink:
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:26 am

Picked last night and quite a lot of the cones affected - sat in the garage on a drying tray for a couple of days to encourage them to go. Checked the last remaining plant - a Prima Donna side shoot I couldn't bring myself to throw, and not a single pest on that. Will be harvesting that before the weekend although obviously won't be much with it effectively being a 1st year bine.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:26 pm

scuppeteer wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:48 pm
McMullan wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:16 pm
Unlikely as the hop aphid is generally asexual and eggs would have become adults several months ago. They only live about a month overall anyway.
Don't they have several generations in a season, depending on weather conditions? And don't the eggs survive winter in the soil below the host plant, including pots?

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:47 am

McMullan wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:26 pm
Don't they have several generations in a season, depending on weather conditions? And don't the eggs survive winter in the soil below the host plant, including pots?
Yes, yes and yes.

But my point being that as Cascade is a late variety and the aphid have only just appeared they are unlikely to have been there from the beginning. I got a load of green Bullion a couple of weeks ago and it was heaving with aphid. The cones were very good and not damaged by the infestation, meaning they are very new arrivals.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC