Hercules hop.

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Fat boy quiff

Hercules hop.

Post by Fat boy quiff » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:04 am

Hi.
I have just completed an 'Old World India Pale Ale' from the Brew dog back catalog. It has been in the FV for two days and I am thinking of adding some dry hops (pellets) to the fermenting wort. I have some Hercules pellets which I could use but have never dry hopped with these before. Has anyone used these hops in this manner and if so what was the result.

FermentedCulture

Re: Hercules hop.

Post by FermentedCulture » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:19 pm

I've only used them once for a blonde beer where it was the only hop used. I used high dryhopping rates so it was quite bitter. It reminded me of German lagers to be honest, unfortunately I don't have any notes and only have 1 bottle left for aging purposes...

In my opinion it had a German noble flavour.

If you make a small hop tea with a few pellets you should get the gist of the aroma it will add to the beer. Here's the taste sheet they supply: https://www.hopsteiner.com/wp-content/u ... rkules.pdf

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:48 pm

How large an amount were you thinking about using?
You could dry hop with a small amount (7 to 14 grams) and take a sample to taste after a few days and add more then if it's not hoppy enough for you.
I'm just here for the beer.

Fat boy quiff

Post by Fat boy quiff » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:10 pm

we are looking at a 70 ltr brew, so looking at 100g.

FermentedCulture

Post by FermentedCulture » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:35 am

You could draw 0.5-1 litre off into a bottle/growler then dry hop it over a day. You could even dry hop at different rates with more bottles. Extraction doesn't take that long, agitation helps too.

Jackthehat
Tippler

Post by Jackthehat » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:08 pm

If you're googling for info, you may have more luck with Herkules (German spelling).

I got some from B&T a few years. They told me that they use it in their stouts, so I did the same. Given its high AA I thought that it may be a bit rough for aroma additions so I didn't try it. Perhaps I should have done.