Loss of flavour

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Tensbrewer

Loss of flavour

Post by Tensbrewer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:42 pm

HI there

I have been making batches of IPA recently and increasing the rates of dry hop addition. This has given great results at first tasting say after 4 weeks in the bottle but after just a couple of months in the bottle, the character seems to have gone and I'm left with a harshness. This has been most recently evident with an Amarillo SMASH. Is it the Amarillo, or something else, is it a water issue, I don't do any water treatment, a friend advised to try using lactic acid in the mash and sparge water to reduce the carbonates? Any other ideas?

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Loss of flavour

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:57 pm

Those hop aroma compound s are very susceptible to O2 damage, and a lot of other factors.

Big hop character is generally most stable in a keg, but you should plan for a short shelf life with a big hop aroma beer.

Tensbrewer

Post by Tensbrewer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:54 pm

So I am guessing I can save myself a lot of cash and throttle back on the dry hopping. The processes that kill the big aroma, presumably are turning that nice aroma into something less nice and that what I am detecting as harshness - would that likely be correct? Do you think there'd still be value in looking at lactic or citric acid water treatment as a means of improving hop flavour?

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:12 pm

couldn't say if it's a water issue without knowing what's in your water, but obviously if you can brew a lower-hopped beer without this problem then that's going to be a clue? also, what sort of IPA? grainbill? OG/FG? how many (and what) boil hops and dryhops? process?

at a guess it's likely as TheSumOfAllBeers says above, and that as the fruity hop flavours are reduced and damaged you are noticing the other effects of hopping. but without knowing anything about your beers it's little more than a guess.
dazzled, doused in gin..

Tensbrewer

Post by Tensbrewer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:21 pm

The Amarillo batch was 9 gallons, grain bill: 9kg Pale, 0.5kg Oats 0.3kg Wheat. Hopping: 108g Challenger at hot break, 18g Challenger with 15 mins of the boil left plus 68g Amarillo at flameout. Dry hopped with 130g of Amarillo hop pellets 4 days before bottling. OG was 1.056 FG 1.012

I do a lot of beers with those sorts of characteristics although normally with maybe 40% less dry hops.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:24 pm

To be honest, in my experience that is not enough hops at flame out for the brew length. I, on average, have 3 or 4 times the amount you've added. A bigger addition late rather than all that at the beginning of the boil will improve the hop profile. Don't forget dry hopping and flame out additions are more aroma based than overall flavour.
For example a typical hoppy beer of mine would have say 20-30g @ 60mins, 50-80g @ 10-15mins and up to 300g at flame out. NB this is the same brew length as yours so 9-10 gallons.
You should really look at water treatment as well, as this will aid all aspects of your brewing and improve the quality overall.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Tensbrewer

Post by Tensbrewer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:18 pm

Thanks for that scuppeteer, I guess I imagined I was going to get more out of the hops by dry hopping rather than in the kettle but given recent experience I will use more in the kettle and less for dry hopping. I have ordered water analysis reports from my water company today....

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:18 pm

Steep hopping I think provides a better aroma as well. Cool the wort after flame out to around 65-70C then put in more, I usually add up to another 100g, depending on the hops and beer and leave for 20mins before continuing to cool to pitching temp.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC