How?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

How?

Post by Meatymc » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:59 pm

Doing another bitter using Proper Job captured yeast using IPA's method. The beer I scavenged it from was over bitter but I'm still experimenting with my own grown hops which of course are of an unknown AA content. I also dry hopped and couldn't resist squeezing the hop bag which has resulted in a cloudy beer - not that I'm bothered.

Made a starter tonight using the scaveged yeast and, of course, drank the remainder of the 500ml bottle the scavenged yeast was saved in.

So here is my question....

....how can this part bottle be so bloody good - the best tasting beer I've brewed to date and it's only supposed to be the dregs from a scavenged bottle of yeast!! Not only does it pass muster compared to any other brew, the carbonation is also perfect - well for me at least. Practically no head (which would have been nice) but nicely effervecent.

I've no idea what the gravity was and therefore alcohol content but I took 2 samples so will check this out when I comes to use the other bottle.

Early days as yet - main brew it was taken from bottled on 26th November- and different in being fermented out and dry hopped, but why does it so far pale in comparison?