Hop Growing Advice

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Ren
Piss Artist

Hop Growing Advice

Post by Ren » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi Folks,

Recently ordered some hop rhizomes Centennial and Chinook, but when I started to look into it more a came across Chop and Brew video where they mentioned that hops are really aggressive and invasive species. Trouble is I am renting the property I live in, although my Landlord mentioned that I can plant whatever I want, but I would not want to infest the whole yard with hops. Has anyone got any Ideas on how to contain hop rhizomes from spreading out?

Would it really get messy if no barrier would be used?

Thanks

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Hop Growing Advice

Post by Wonkydonkey » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:57 pm

Yes they are invasive, but some peeps grow them in big planters, or dustbins
To Busy To Add,

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by keith1664 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 pm

Sink a big bucket with the bottom cut out into the ground, works for me.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

pas8280
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Location: Hindley Green near Wigan but far enough away for it to count :)

Post by pas8280 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:29 am

Crop the rhizomes every year and sell them on I will take one of each next year :)
The Hollyhop Brewery 100 litre stainless

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her - W.C. Fields

Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol - anon

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:58 am

They really don't spread that far. Male hops will but females don't tend to. Should you get a feeder pop up you can just pull it up and cut it back at the crown. It won't do that for a couple of years though.
Restricting the roots is not ideal as the ground can get waterlogged and it will potentially rot in time.
I would advise not planting anything else too near as the roots will go around 4ft and are not that far below the surface.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:03 am

I grew two different hops on my driveway. I put two big tall plant pots either side of my double garage next to the doors. I then put in a line of screws that went straight up then over the doors. Between these screws i then ran some string. Then the hops grew up and then over the garage doors. It looked really good when the hops were growing.

Just make sure the plant pots have very good drainage.

Ren
Piss Artist

Post by Ren » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:12 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Will plant them Tomorrow in large buckets with the bottom cut out, fingers crossed it will not get waterlogged.