New British Hops -your experinces

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
JonB
Steady Drinker

New British Hops -your experinces

Post by JonB » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:08 pm

As I'm sure many of you are aware Charles Faram have been releasing a number of new varieties in recent years (Jester, Godiva, Harlequin, etc.).

I've been playing about a bit recently with Mystic, Harlequin and Olicana. I'm really enjoying the results in IPAs and pales, they're definitely different to more American varieties.

Has anyone else played with them? What did you do and how did it go?

clarets7
Piss Artist

Re: New British Hops -your experinces

Post by clarets7 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:50 pm

Olicana single hop ale from last year: -
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83930
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

JonB
Steady Drinker

Post by JonB » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:10 pm

Nice!

I did something similar last year and really enjoyed that.

You said it was definitely fruity, out of interest what srt if fruit did you get?

In mine I think the flavour was more or less a 50/50 split between floral and fruity, but more sort of mango/pineapple/grapefruit fruity. I think I need to brew that one again...

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:08 am

JonB wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:10 pm
Nice!

I did something similar last year and really enjoyed that.

You said it was definitely fruity, out of interest what srt if fruit did you get?

In mine I think the flavour was more or less a 50/50 split between floral and fruity, but more sort of mango/pineapple/grapefruit fruity. I think I need to brew that one again...
I'm rubbish at describing flavours, but there was definitely some grapefruity citrus flavour mingled with tropical, but nothing overpowering. Some bottles that had been left in the house rather than in a cool garage developed a slight resinous flavour. In my notes I compared it to Adnams Ghostship, but better. I'd forgotten that, I'll have to brew it again as well!

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:56 am

On the topic of 'new' (or rather old) UK hops, I tried Ernest hops a while ago for the first time after I got 100g from Bushell of hops. The beer made was superb. It had this fruity apricot/citrus thing going on as I recall. I then bought a kilo of them from another supplier and the resulting beers had this kind of piney flavour that you get in loads of beers these days hopped with US varieties that I don't much like. I now have loads unused in my freezer!

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:03 pm

bitter_dave wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:56 am
On the topic of 'new' (or rather old) UK hops, I tried Ernest hops a while ago for the first time after I got 100g from Bushell of hops. The beer made was superb. It had this fruity apricot/citrus thing going on as I recall. I then bought a kilo of them from another supplier and the resulting beers had this kind of piney flavour that you get in loads of beers these days hopped with US varieties that I don't much like. I now have loads unused in my freezer!
Same here, first beer with Ernest was fine, really nice, but second has that resinous piney flavour that is a bit overpowering. However, these were both using the same batch of hops, first was only a small stove top batch that got drank very quickly, second 20L that got stashed away for a while for various reasons. May have just been something wrong with that last brew or maybe the beer doesn't keep well?

Edit: I actually did a brew with Ernest before those two that went into a barrel, didn't get any resin/pine notes on that so maybe something else is happening - last brew was using Brewlabs Lancashire yeast, maybe that doesn't go well with highly hopped beers?

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:47 pm

clarets7 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:03 pm

Same here, first beer with Ernest was fine, really nice, but second has that resinous piney flavour that is a bit overpowering. However, these were both using the same batch of hops, first was only a small stove top batch that got drank very quickly, second 20L that got stashed away for a while for various reasons. May have just been something wrong with that last brew or maybe the beer doesn't keep well?

Edit: I actually did a brew with Ernest before those two that went into a barrel, didn't get any resin/pine notes on that so maybe something else is happening - last brew was using Brewlabs Lancashire yeast, maybe that doesn't go well with highly hopped beers?
Curious that you had different effects with the same batch of hops. I could tell the first set of hops were different in terms of aroma etc when I opened the packet. The first 'good' batch I made lost a fair bit of it's aroma quite quickly, but was something special for a few weeks. (Didn't go crazy with the hops). I probably did use different yeasts on the later beers, can't remember and not great at keeping notes. In any case, the second batch of hops were not as good. I guess hops are a bit like fruit, you never know what they are going to be like. Can't go too wrong with hops like first gold, challenger, and Styrian Golding's though imo.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:33 pm

I have used a few of these modern British hops.

Godiva: my HBC did a challenge with these - Brew whatever beer you want as long as you only use the Godiva hops. A variety of different beers, some good, some not so. IMO the best was a Japanese rice lager which really showcased the hops (which came direct from Faram). My own, a beer made as a weakened version of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale using Godiva rather than Cascade, was a disappointment.

Endeavour: I made a single hop pale ale/golden ale for a party to send off my Daughter and her BF on their "Aussie Endeavour" last year. I was a little disappointed in the hop aromas and flavours, but it seemed to be well received at the party (well it all got drunk!). I was expecting a bit more "New World" from the hops than I got.

Ernest: my records tell me I made a single hop beer with these hops, but for the life of me I can't recall what it was like...clearly memorable!

I also have 100g of Jester (from Dorothy at "A Bushel of hops") in the freezer from a couple of seasons ago which I must use sometime...too many beers, too little time!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

JonB
Steady Drinker

Post by JonB » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:13 pm

Some interesting experiences here certainly.

I do wonder if the "New World-ness" of these hops is just oversold. I've never found them as potent as US hops (especially not in the citrus-like flavours) but I do like the fruit flavours that come through when used in late kettle hopping, and I think these would blend nicely with a lot of the more malt-forward British styles.

I've used Opus (not sure if that is commercially available yet, this was from a competition), which was supposed to be very "sticky orange." It definitely had an orange character but not as much as I was expecting. Made a nice Chocolate orange porter though...

Mystic and Harlequin I've found to be a fun combination, you get a lot of stone/berry/maybe a bit of tropical fruit flavours and a classic "sharp" bitterness. I found this works nicely with a more malty IPA grist.

Also did an Olicana Single Hop ale as noted earlier. That was amazing, fruity and floral and really easy drinking.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:51 pm

I did some Ernest, very nice, but I really like cascade.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:41 pm

+1 for Ernest a great hop.

nickjdavis
Steady Drinker

Post by nickjdavis » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:14 am

Was going to say that I brewed a Rice Lager using Godiva for a club challenge but looks like someone has beaten me to it!! :D

It was a really simple beer (75% Pilsner, 25% Flaked Rice), mashed low (64) for dryness and fermentability and all of the hops were added in the stages during the final 15 mins...no traditional bittering addition. This was designed to extract as much flavour and aroma from the hops as possible, whilst still remaining balanced....wasnt supposed to be a hop bomb sort of lager. A dry hop addition was also employed.

The plan was to produce a light, crisp, dry lager, with notes of white grape and gooseberry, that the Godiva promised. As a beer, I utterly nailed it...it was excellent. I brewed it again last year and unfortunately the aromas were dominated by lashings of fruit and the beer lacked the same delicate balance the initial version had.

I think if you pick an appropriate style for some of these new hops and think about what you are going to brew and how the hops will combine with the malt, then you can really get the most out of them. Just throwing a new hop at an established beer that you already make wont often showcase what the hops are all about.

I've previously used Jester to good effect in a Red Ale as well.