Nine different British hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Nine different British hops

Post by Rookie » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:43 pm

19 ozs.
Attachments
IMG_20231024_151739.jpg
IMG_20231024_151739.jpg (810.11 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
I'm just here for the beer.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Nine different British hops

Post by Eric » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:44 pm

You've chosen well.

Used extensively by many commercial British breweries, I find too much Target can spoil a good beer.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:00 am

Eric wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:44 pm
I find too much Target can spoil a good beer.
I have heard folk say that target can be rather harsh, but I tried making a single hop Target beer a couple of years ago with lovely hops from Dorothy Hollamby at A Bushel of Hops. I enjoyed the beer as did folk I shared it with.

I may try again sometime using Target pellet hops which I have in my freezer. Might be a very different experience.

I do often use Target as a relatively neutral bittering hop when I want something else to shine on top of it as a late hop.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:15 am

Cobnut wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:00 am

I have heard folk say that target can be rather harsh, but I tried making a single hop Target beer a couple of years ago with lovely hops from Dorothy Hollamby at A Bushel of Hops. I enjoyed the beer as did folk I shared it with.

I do often use Target as a relatively neutral bittering hop when I want something else to shine on top of it as a late hop.
Indeed. It is likely larger commercial brewers, who account for a significant proportion of Target consumption, choose both their suppliers and the quantity they pitch with extreme care. Being cheap, Target do provide "big bang per buck" plus reduced wort loss against a larger amount of lesser bittering hops. However, I have found they can sometimes produce a taste that can dominate late hops and as a consequence use them to provide only a modest level of bitterness.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:28 pm

I find Admiral a nicer bittering hop than Target.