Dry hopping in active fermentation

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
NeilE1970
Steady Drinker

Dry hopping in active fermentation

Post by NeilE1970 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:18 am

Hi all,
I came across this last night whilst doing a bit a research, I thought it might be of interest to many here.

http://scottjanish.com/examination-of-s ... nd-flavor/

The only reason I even followed the link is the fact that a few days ago I heavily dry hopped a citra ipa of my own recipe and after a day noticed a discernible pick up in air lock activity….this after the batch had been fermenting for 7 days and activity had dropped off to a few bubbles per day.

A lot is over my head but I’m sure many would find it interesting

JonB
Steady Drinker

Re: Dry hopping in active fermentation

Post by JonB » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:38 pm

I've read through his book, where he goes into this in detail. Certainly an eye-opener

(it reads like a scientific journal, so not the easiest to work through)

I found it very interesting, and certainly the biotransformation stuff. The focus is on making Hazy Juice Bombs (because that is what pundits/industry want, so makes sense), but some of those techniques are certainly worth trying on more "traditional" styles (apparently a "west Coast IPA" falls into this category now...). I have sometimes found following the advice to dry hop early produces a lot more ripe fruit from hops I wasn't expecting them from, and it's good to know why that's happening. It also means I can avoid it to get a more "traditional" flavour profile from my US IPAs...