Lallemand Abbaye

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Laripu
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Lallemand Abbaye

Post by Laripu » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:41 am

Has anyone tried this yet? I'm considering it in the near future, depending on whether it's sold at a reasonable price at my LHBS.

Secondary FV: As yet unnamed Weizenbock ~7%
Bulk aging: Soodo: Grocery store grape juice wine experiment.
Drinking: Mostly Canadian whisky until I start brewing again.

Laripu

Re: Lallemand Abbaye

Post by Laripu » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:04 am

I'll be brewing with Lallemand Abbaye on Sunday. I plan to make a 0.75L starter Saturday.

If anyone's tried it, I appreciate any experience you might have to share.

The batch will be 23L, soft, filtered water, 7 lb German pils malt, 7 lb German rye malt, 2.5 lb honey, Citra and Liberty hops to 42 BU.

I'll let you know how it goes.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:00 am

Maybe one day I will get around to trying this, and the Fermentis Abbaye.

Just a cell density of 5 Billion cells per g. That's going to have to work hard in some strong Belgian beers without a big starter, or many packets. Surely cancels out one of the main benefits of dry yeast.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Laripu

Post by Laripu » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:34 pm

I always make a starter with either dry or liquid yeast. Usually 0.75 L for ales, and 2 L for lagers.

I find that dry yeasts have improved tremendously in the 25 years I've been brewing. The reason I like them is that they're better able to survive Florida heat during transport from the LHBS to my home. It's only 30 minutes away, but 35°C in the summer is difficult, especially if I load the trunk and then have a beer (because my LHBS is also a microbrewery). In winter, daytime temperature may be as low as 20°C, and I buy liquid yeast in winter, normally.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:56 pm

Bring a camping cool box, cool bag. Fully loaded with ice packs. That will provide a lot of transport protection, and should allow you to relax some.

Laripu

Post by Laripu » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:12 am

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:Bring a camping cool box, cool bag. Fully loaded with ice packs. That will provide a lot of transport protection, and should allow you to relax some.
I do that for groceries. It's actually fairly common around here. The one time I did it for liquid yeast, the liquid yeast turned out dead. Could have been coincidence.

When I do get liquid yeast, I don't put it in the trunk (boot, to you), I bring it into the passenger compartment with me, and just drive straight home.

I mistyped in the previous post. Winter day time here may get to 10°C. Night occasionally drops to near freezing (and native Florideans freak out a bit). But 20°C is also pretty typical.

Rick_UK

Post by Rick_UK » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:39 pm

I have used the Safbrew Abbaye dried yeast (see thread below) and it was excellent. Not sure if its the same strain, may well be.

Rick

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:47 pm

Laripu wrote:I'll be brewing with Lallemand Abbaye on Sunday. I plan to make a 0.75L starter Saturday.

If anyone's tried it, I appreciate any experience you might have to share.

The batch will be 23L, soft, filtered water, 7 lb German pils malt, 7 lb German rye malt, 2.5 lb honey, Citra and Liberty hops to 42 BU.

I'll let you know how it goes.
I was looking at the yeast at the homebrew supply last evening, I ended up purchasing a pack of T58 and one of S33 instead. The 2 of them together were cheaper than the Abbaye !
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Rick_UK

Post by Rick_UK » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:40 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:Bring a camping cool box, cool bag. Fully loaded with ice packs. That will provide a lot of transport protection, and should allow you to relax some.
Wouldn't a small vaccum flask be easier for something as small as a sachet of yeast? (Not that it gets much above 20 here in northern England!)

Rick

50quidsoundboy

Post by 50quidsoundboy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:37 am

i'm still a bit sceptical about Belgian-style dried yeasts (dunno why) but I did try their Belle Saison recently, fermented it at 29C and was very happy with the result, I got a very plausible and dry saison.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:29 pm

Belle Saison is a great yeast, and it's very easy to get good results with it. It's vicious attenuation make it very useful in other styles too.

Mangrove Jack make a Belgian ale yeast that I have used once, but on an odd recipe that doesn't showcase it. Would like to heat others opinions on it.

Brewferm Blanche OTOH makes a good wit from what I have heard

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:29 pm

6470zzy wrote:I was looking at the yeast at the homebrew supply last evening, I ended up purchasing a pack of T58 and one of S33 instead. The 2 of them together were cheaper than the Abbaye !
Contrary to popular opinion S-33 is not a Belgian yeast, it's the old Edme yeast.
I'm just here for the beer.

Laripu

Post by Laripu » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:34 am

50quidsoundboy wrote:i'm still a bit sceptical about Belgian-style dried yeasts (dunno why) but I did try their Belle Saison recently, fermented it at 29C and was very happy with the result, I got a very plausible and dry saison.
I made a very good strong saison with it a while ago. But I fermented at 73°F, approx 23C, which is room temp around here.

That's what led me to try Abbaye. I'll be siphoning the Abbaye beer on Sunday. It's a strong rye. I'm looking forward to tasting a bit when I do that.

super_simian
Piss Artist

Post by super_simian » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:21 am

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:Mangrove Jack make a Belgian ale yeast that I have used once, but on an odd recipe that doesn't showcase it. Would like to heat others opinions on it.
I did a run of Saisons and BSA's 18 months ago alternating Belle Saison and MJ Belgian. Much preferred the Belle Saison beers; found the MJ to be very...coarse? The MJ is too attenuative to do a non-Saison Belgian IMHO. Like 90%+ AA.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:36 am

super_simian wrote:
I did a run of Saisons and BSA's 18 months ago alternating Belle Saison and MJ Belgian. Much preferred the Belle Saison beers; found the MJ to be very...coarse? The MJ is too attenuative to do a non-Saison Belgian IMHO. Like 90%+ AA.

I think that's the exact experience I got too.