Yeast Starter

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
endatheworld
Tippler

Yeast Starter

Post by endatheworld » Fri May 27, 2016 3:51 pm

I am making a yeast starter from a pack of Wyeast 2035(Packaging Date 12/15). Beersmith tells me that I need 500billion cells. So I went ahead and made up a 2 liter starter. If i am correct this should give me 200Billion cells? Then I decanted off and added another 2 liters of wort. According to various charts that should give me 300 Billion cells? That is where i am stuck? Can i just carry on doing this 2 more times to get 500 billion? Or does the restrictive size of 2 liters(i only have a 2l flask) make this impossible? Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by endatheworld on Fri May 27, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Yeast Starter

Post by vacant » Fri May 27, 2016 6:17 pm

I'd pitch what you've got. During the growth phase the number of cells can double every three hours. It's important to have healthy yeast. Brew Lab has always advised a 300ml starter for their slants.

If you keep decanting after a short time you're selecting out the cells that are better at finishing up. But I wouldn't worry too much. One experiment found many people preferred seriously under pitched beer
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri May 27, 2016 7:10 pm

endatheworld wrote:I am making a yeast starter from a pack of Wyeast 2035(Packaging Date 12/15). Beersmith tells me that I need 500billion cells. So I went ahead and made up a 2 liter starter. If i am correct this should give me 200Billion cells? Then I decanted off and added another 2 liters of wort. According to various charts that should give me 300 Billion cells? That is where i am stuck? Can i just carry on doing this 2 more times to get 500 billion? Or does the restrictive size of 2 liters(i only have a 2l flask) make this impossible? Any help would be appreciated.
The short answer is, no. It doesn't work like that, unfortunately. Replenishing the same volume of spent wort is simply feeding the yeast population, not selecting for population growth. You'd end up with a geriatric slurry that might or might not ferment as expected. What are you going to brew, volume, OG and expected FG?

gaunt_paul
Steady Drinker

Post by gaunt_paul » Fri May 27, 2016 7:27 pm

I find that the beersmith calculator isn't much use, especially if you're using multiple steps. I use this one...

http://www.yeastcalculator.com/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

endatheworld
Tippler

Post by endatheworld » Fri May 27, 2016 7:40 pm

vacant wrote:If you keep decanting after a short time you're selecting out the cells that are better at finishing up. But I wouldn't worry too much. One experiment found many people preferred seriously under pitched beer
Thanks. I have underpitched before when doing a lager and it didnt turn out well.
McMullan wrote:
The short answer is, no. It doesn't work like that, unfortunately. Replenishing the same volume of spent wort is simply feeding the yeast population, not selecting for population growth. You'd end up with a geriatric slurry that might or might not ferment as expected. What are you going to brew, volume, OG and expected FG?
I thought as much. I am brewing a IPL. 20L with a of OG 1069.
gaunt_paul wrote:I find that the beersmith calculator isn't much use, especially if you're using multiple steps. I use this one...

Thanks for that. I never seen that one before. I used Mr Malty's calc as well but this one seems better as it has the steps.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri May 27, 2016 8:12 pm

The easiest route, without a larger starter vessel, would be to get a standard lager on the go, using the yeast you've cultured, then harvest what you need from the subsequent yeast cake.

endatheworld
Tippler

Post by endatheworld » Fri May 27, 2016 8:27 pm

McMullan wrote:The easiest route, without a larger starter vessel, would be to get a standard lager on the go, using the yeast you've cultured, then harvest what you need from the subsequent yeast cake.
I have a couple of kgs of pilsner malt lying around. I will do a small 10 liter batch with that and yeast I have and harvest that. That should give me enough cells.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat May 28, 2016 7:30 am

I think you may already have enough, even though it is an above average abv wort your pitching into.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sat May 28, 2016 8:51 am

gaunt_paul wrote:I find that the beersmith calculator isn't much use, especially if you're using multiple steps. I use this one...

I do question the figures on these. That would have you pitch 3 packets of US-05 into a 20L 1.050 ale, taking into account its cell density; not many people would do that!

I'm not sure you've stated just how cold you may be pitching this lager. If it were an ale, and you're talking 20L or so, I'd go with Orlando. 2L would be more than enough.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

endatheworld
Tippler

Post by endatheworld » Sat May 28, 2016 11:37 am

MTW wrote:

I do question the figures on these. That would have you pitch 3 packets of US-05 into a 20L 1.050 ale, taking into account its cell density; not many people would do that!

I'm not sure you've stated just how cold you may be pitching this lager. If it were an ale, and you're talking 20L or so, I'd go with Orlando. 2L would be more than enough.
I will be pitching and start fermenting at 12 °C. I do agree with you on the calcs. I only ever have looked at them when I have done a lager(only done 2) and have ignored them in the past and just went for the 2l starter. I decided that this time I would try to follow the recommendations for the fun of it but am slowly regretting that decision. :roll: