Jim's Beer Kit

Practical Homebrewing

Rousing flocculant yeast

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.

Rousing flocculant yeast

Postby MrN » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:13 pm

I'm using Wyeast 1968 (ESB strain) for the first time and have heard how flocculant it is, some report problems with it finishing early. I've also heard of breweries that rouse yeast over the first couple of days of fermentation (particularly ones using yorkshire squares I believe?). Could it be a good idea to rouse this yeast during fermentation, after a day or two? I'm not talking about rousing to restart a stuck fermentation but doing it as a matter of course to ensure a beer ferments out as far as possible. Does anyone do this or is it just over complicating things?
MrN
Steady Drinker

Re: Rousing flocculant yeast

Postby fego » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:56 pm

As this is your first time, I'd suggest leaving be and seeing how it goes. If you then encounter a problem, try addressing it when you know what that problem is. Can't see much point in taking action against an un-proven issue and risking introducing a different problem unnecessarily.

That said, I've never used this yeast so doing nothing first time might be the wrong thing to do - just that I would do nothing if it were me.

(that probably wasn't very helpful.... :oops: )
Tea is for mugs...
fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Postby Rookie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:05 pm

fego wrote:As this is your first time, I'd suggest leaving be and seeing how it goes. If you then encounter a problem, try addressing it when you know what that problem is. Can't see much point in taking action against an un-proven issue and risking introducing a different problem unnecessarily.

I agree. Check the gravity after a week and if it's higher than it should be take a sanitized racking cane and gently stir the yeast up off the bottom of the FV.
I'm just here for the beer.
Rookie
Even further under the Table

Postby BenB » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:46 pm

I've used it a number of times. Floculates like crazy but I've never had a problem with it finishing early. It's not a major attenuator which I suspect helps. But I'd just leave it and only rouse it if needs be....
Recent brews...

1 ) Greg Hughes Summer Ale (AG)
2 ) Oktoberfest (AG) - gone
3 ) Southern English Brown Ale (AG)- gone
4 ) Old Ale (AG)- conditioning in bottles. 7.5%- nicknamed "short session ale" - drinking
5 ) Barley Wine (AG)- drinking
6 ) Belgian Dubbel (AG) - not pleasant hoping it'll improve
7 ) South African Castle Lager Clone (AG) - mostly gone
8 ) ESB Clone (AG) - drinking
coming soon
9) Boltmaker Clone (AG)
10) some kits (running out of beer)
11) AG Porter (BCS)
12) AG Munich Helles (BCS)
BenB
Drunk as a Skunk

Return to Yeast