Crossmyloof Brewery Dry Yeast

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Digby
Piss Artist

Re: Crossmyloof Brewery Dry Yeast

Post by Digby » Fri May 11, 2018 11:03 pm

I am just finishing my keg of Patersbier brewed with this CML yeast and I am most impressed. Fermented quite warm and the yeast has really shone through.

MattImage

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:13 pm

Digby wrote:I am just finishing my keg of Patersbier brewed with this CML yeast and I am most impressed. Fermented quite warm and the yeast has really shone through.

MattImage

What was the og on this. I am getting good results with high og beers and one pack of yeast, really believe that Belgian dry yeast benefits from under pitching

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Fri May 11, 2018 11:35 pm

dbambrick996 wrote:
Digby wrote:I am just finishing my keg of Patersbier brewed with this CML yeast and I am most impressed. Fermented quite warm and the yeast has really shone through.

MattImage

What was the og on this. I am getting good results with high og beers and one pack of yeast, really believe that Belgian dry yeast benefits from under pitching
Hi,

I just had a quick look and it was a gentle 1.052 and headed down to 1.008. I agree that making the yeast work a bit harder seems to throw out some nice character.

I have a Tripel in the kegerator chilling down ready to get on tap by the end of the weekend using the same yeast and I am intrigued as to how that has come out. The bottled portion of the batch seems mighty tasty.

Matt

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sat May 12, 2018 12:50 pm

dbambrick996 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:34 pm
Will pick up a few packs and give it a go.
Enjoying a Belgian single at the moment with lellemand abbey, best dry yeast I have tried so far.
If it's as good as their Belle Saison then I can imagine it's a good one. I'll have to give it a try, as to be honest I've been moving away from CML yeasts. Seems to me that no matter how good they are, there is always one better for a little bit more cash... I'm in this hobby to make the best beer that I can, rather than to get my drink on on the cheap, so trying out different yeasts is a big part of it for me. lol Heck, I have a magnetic stir plate, along with 2l and 3l conical flasks, waiting on the day I have a fermentation fridge so I can give liquid yeasts a try...

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Sun May 13, 2018 11:03 am

Yeah, I am getting good results will lellemand yeasts, I use Munich classic for my heffewizens, abbey for Belgian and I just used their diamond lager in a German pills, it’s still fermenting but the samples are really good.
Again, if u like banana in you heffes under pitch with Munich classic

m_rawdin
Piss Artist

Post by m_rawdin » Sun May 13, 2018 3:32 pm

I've been using their yeast for a year or so now and pretty much only use their yeast now. I did find their Saison yeast didn't attenuate as much as I was hoping though. I get my hops from them too and they are going to branching out into grain soon too.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/341609746264187/

Fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Smoked porter
Drinking: Cider, witbier, brown ale, Milk stout
Planning: Gamma Ray clone v3

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Crossmyloof Brewery Dry Yeast

Post by dbambrick996 » Sun May 13, 2018 5:44 pm

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sun May 20, 2018 11:36 pm

dbambrick996 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:03 am
Yeah, I am getting good results will lellemand yeasts, I use Munich classic for my heffewizens, abbey for Belgian and I just used their diamond lager in a German pills, it’s still fermenting but the samples are really good.
Again, if u like banana in you heffes under pitch with Munich classic
I do, my wife doesn't. Hence I've drawn up a recipe for a wit using a Saison yeast instead to push citrus (so probably MJ M29 French Saison, as that stuff really brings the citrus!) and spice, rather than banana and clove. :wink: She was not impressed when the wheat beer I made with CML Kristallweizen went banana after 3 weeks conditioning... I loved it though, didn't last very long at all. :lol: Problem was, I was supposed to be making a Witbier and ended up making a German Kristallweizen (it was really clear for a wheat beer!) thanks to the yeast... :lol:
m_rawdin wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 3:32 pm
I've been using their yeast for a year or so now and pretty much only use their yeast now. I did find their Saison yeast didn't attenuate as much as I was hoping though. I get my hops from them too and they are going to branching out into grain soon too.
They've been saying they're going to sell grain for absolutely ages now.

simpleton
Piss Artist

Post by simpleton » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:00 pm

dbambrick996 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:38 pm
simpleton wrote:
dbambrick996 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:39 pm
Belle saison is a French saison like 3711, I find i get more citrus notes. For Belgian saison try safbrew be134, nice Belgian character with spice notes
I took your advice on thia and pitched 2 packets of be134 into 33litres @ 1059. Pitched at 23c and let it warm to 26c. It's at 1005 after just 48hours and still has a thick Krausen albeit a fair bit less than the peak. Actually thought my ispindel was being weird and not reporting the gravity correctly so pulled a sample and it's bang on! Reckon it’s heading for 1001 as it’s still very active. Tastes considerably better than the other dry saison yeast i have tried. Think it will be a goodun this one.
Good, let me know how it finishes out.
I forgot to follow up on this. In a nutshell, it was superb. I brewed 33 litres and split it. It finished at 1.000 but did not taste thin at all. Half was kegged as is and defo had the flavour of Dupont. This yeast is surely quite similar? I'd defo use it over the liquid saison yeast as it was so easy to deal with. Absolutely blitzed through the wort.
The other half of the batch was blended with a previous saison that was a bit thin and primed with a homemade elderflower cordial. That was really nice. Blended it as it finished a bit strong for a nice refreshing beer so didn't really need 33 litres of a imperial strength beer.

simpleton
Piss Artist

Post by simpleton » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:01 pm

dbambrick996 wrote:
simpleton wrote:
dbambrick996 wrote:
Belle saison is a French saison like 3711, I find i get more citrus notes. For Belgian saison try safbrew be134, nice Belgian character with spice notes
I took your advice on thia and pitched 2 packets of be134 into 33litres @ 1059. Pitched at 23c and let it warm to 26c. It's at 1005 after just 48hours and still has a thick Krausen albeit a fair bit less than the peak. Actually thought my ispindel was being weird and not reporting the gravity correctly so pulled a sample and it's bang on! Reckon it’s heading for 1001 as it’s still very active. Tastes considerably better than the other dry saison yeast i have tried. Think it will be a goodun this one.
I forgot to follow up on this. In a nutshell, it was superb. I brewed 33 litres and split it. It finished at 1.000 but did not taste thin at all. Half was kegged as is and defo had the flavour of Dupont. This yeast is surely quite similar? I'd defo use it over the liquid saison yeast as it was so easy to deal with. Absolutely blitzed through the wort.
The other half of the batch was blended with a previous saison that was a bit thin and primed with a homemade elderflower cordial. That was really nice. Blended it as it finished a bit strong for a nice refreshing beer so didn't really need 33 litres of a imperial strength beer.

simpleton
Piss Artist

Post by simpleton » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:01 pm

dbambrick996 wrote:
simpleton wrote:
dbambrick996 wrote:

domejunky
Steady Drinker

Post by domejunky » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:26 pm

I've done a couple of brews with the US Pale, I bought one of their 125g bags. I'm not convinced yet, seems a lot less flocculant than US-05

Mashman
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Mashman » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:57 pm

Brewed this morning, pitched the yeast at 12-00hrs, about 20 litres of wort at 1045 sg

Took this pic at about 20-00hrs tonight, about 8 hours after pitching 2 sachets of Crossmyloof Real Ale yeast in a well aerated wort. I like this yeast but have not had the snowdrift look before. I think the brown bit in the middle is some of the trub that slipped through. Open fermenter with a loose lid laid on the top.

IMG_20180704_200913.jpg
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:29 am

An interestingly regular pattern, certainly looks to have started off working as it should.

TBH I found the results of their ale yeast a bit average and so haven't re-visited it, but probably should try it again under different conditions. I'll be interested to hear how you and others get on with it for flavour and flocculation in particular.
Kev

domejunky
Steady Drinker

Post by domejunky » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:43 pm

I'm just sampling a beer made with US05, after 6 or 7 brews made with Crossmyloof Ale yeast. It's like meeting up with an old friend. The previous brew, an APA, I managed to tame the Crossmyloof. I used gelatin, and cold crashing, and after 3 weeks, in the keg it finally lost that yeast bite. The US05, I'm drinking 72 hours after I kegged it and it's glorious...