Wyeast Labs #1762 with an OG 1.106

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
khattam

Wyeast Labs #1762 with an OG 1.106

Post by khattam » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:37 pm

Hi guys,

I am going to atempt to do a Rochefort 10 based on this recipe http://www.homebrewchef.com/Rochefort10CloneRecipe.html.

The OG is 1.106 and I have bought a Wyeast #1762 propogator pack - http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_productdeta ... roductID=2. I've read all the details/instructions on their website but I thought I would just throw out the question on here... will a 2 litre starter be enough to pitch for this?

Many thanks in advance!

mysterio

Re: Wyeast Labs #1762 with an OG 1.106

Post by mysterio » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:58 pm

I would tend to use a 4L starter for that big a beer. Do everything to keep the brewing gods on your side for a beer that size, keep the starter as aerated as possible while it is propagating, make sure the wort is well oxygenated, control the fermentation temperature etc.

coatesg

Post by coatesg » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:11 am

And grow the starter up two if not three times from the smack pack... Alternatively, do as the Belgians and brew a Rochefort 6 beforehand and repitch ;)

coatesg

Post by coatesg » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:14 am

By the way - it's a great yeast - start it about 17-18C and let it rise away up to 23C-24C and keep it there (or more if you dare). Did a similar beer but used a big whack of home-made candi sugar instead of brown sugar - getting some really dark fruity results now (brewed in April '10).

khattam

Post by khattam » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:05 am

Hi guys, thanks for your response.

I used the Wyeasts pitch calculator to work out if I have enough yeast cells for this beer. (http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_pitchrate.cfm)

If I make a 2 litre starter then add another 2 litres of wort and then use that to ferment 23litres it works out at 10million cells/litre. From what I have read i would need over 20million. This would also bring my total volume upto 27litres is that right?

I did have one other thought... would it be a good idea to create a 2 litre starter, brew my beer, then split the wort in 2 (leaving 2 11.5 litre worts), then add the 2 litre starter to one of these and then finally add the second half?

Many thanks!

coatesg

Post by coatesg » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:41 pm

I'd make the big starter, let it grow up fully, crash cool and then decant the spent starter. They you can just pitch the yeast on it's own without the other 4 litres of spent beer. Beware that the amount of viable cells will depend strongly on the age of the pack!

khattam

Post by khattam » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

OK this is pretty new to me but I think it's starting to sink in :D

So if I crash cool the yeast that effectively means the yeast drops to the bottom allowing me to drain off the 4 litres, right?

If that's correct I might build it up a lot bigger so that it achieves the over 20million cells/litre count that I need.

Many thanks for your help!

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:21 am

You can do things to get more growth in your starter. A stir plate for example is said to be the equivalent of doubling your starter volume, and judging by the amount of growth I get in my stirred starter, that seems about right. See threads on here for making your own 'stir plate' using a PC fan. Also if you step up the yeast starter, say 400ml first for a day then 3L, I seem to get more growth that way.

Bigveees

Re: Wyeast Labs #1762 calculating pitch

Post by Bigveees » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:46 am

Bringing an old thread to life here I hope, or something!

This is the yeast I intend to use, but I'm not going super nova on my first Belgian brew attempt. The use of a smack pack is the real query here.

Wyeast Web site calculator suggests that a smack pack makes up a viable pitching yeast of 125mls at 6 million cells per millilitre equaling 100 billion cells!

Now I'm looking at Mr Malty calculator and even a brew of 23liters at 1050 would need a 2 liter starter! So I've missed a trick here or the smack packs are a little thin on the ground. Mr malty is suggesting that I'd need 200 billion cells, which is twice what the pack will contain!

Have I lost the plot?

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:08 pm

Six million (viable) cells per ml wort is what's used, approximately, to ferment a standard brew, say <1.050. You are going to pitch into 23L wort. Wyeast packs are for 19L wort. Also, the yeast cells die over time, reducing viability. By the time we receive packs the viability may have dropped quite a lot. Therefore always make a starter, to culture up sufficient viable cells. Mr Malty offers a reasonable guide, if you aren't too familiar with this aspect of brewing.

Bigveees

Post by Bigveees » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:55 am

Fair enough, I guess a 2L starter won't hurt anyone, just a shame the prepared packages are weak! I guess a smaller brew is an option