Bottle Conditioned Beers - Supermarkets

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Bottle Conditioned Beers - Supermarkets

Post by orlando » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:04 am

I have successfully cultured up Bengal Lancer (first one for me, dregs of 4 bottles) and it is just finishing off an FLP inspired Porter, so that worked. I'm just stepping up the dregs of two bottles of 1865 which I'm hoping to pitch into a Mild on Monday.

I did capture what was in the bottom of two bottles of Jaipur but was put off a little as there was some debate about how pure a strain it was so I bottled out (pun intended). Anyone successfully done this and if so can they outline their technique?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:50 pm

VincentG wrote:What bottle conditioned beers have you successfully used the yeast from that are available in the big 4 supermarkets? I have used "hens tooth" in the past and Duvel, with good results. What have you used recently? Can recommend?
Bump.

Hi VincetnG, I was just wondering if you've tried anything new?

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Post by robbarwell » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:27 pm

Just bought 2 bottles of Brakspear Tripple, it is deffo bottled conditioned and I picked the two bottles with the most crud on the bottom.

For the record they have these on offer £3 for 2. Ive heard that its burton ale yeast like WLP023

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm

robbarwell wrote:Just bought 2 bottles of Brakspear Tripple, it is deffo bottled conditioned and I picked the two bottles with the most crud on the bottom. For the record they have these on offer £3 for 2. Ive heard that its burton ale yeast like WLP023
Good luck, keep us posted on your efforts. I think you're right, my research indicates it's probably the same as White Labs WLP023 and Wyeast 1275, and I think it's brewed at the same location as Wychwood and Henley of Thames, so it's very possible those share the same yeast, too.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:01 am

This may be handy
http://www.nada.kth.se/~alun/Beer/Bottle-Yeasts/

I did a schneider weiss starter but didn't make a beer from it in the end

I've not done any culturing apart from that

barney

Post by barney » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:13 am

Maredsous

The only fail I ever had from plating or slanting, Not a sausage on the plate after three weeks.

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:22 pm

Bump. Anyone else have some to add?

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Well funnily enough I just picked up a bottle of Thwaite's Nutty Black in our local store and it claimed to be bottle conditioned, didn't buy any, which I'm beginning to regret, but it has got me wondering about what yeast strain is in there, do you know?

Ditched the 1845 experiment as it didn't fit with the brew schedule and it went off in the fridge.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:43 pm

Julius Echter I have re-cultured from in the past and also I know that Samuel Smith's Stingo is bottle conditioned and available this time of year. :beer:

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:16 pm

orlando wrote:Well funnily enough I just picked up a bottle of Thwaite's Nutty Black in our local store and it claimed to be bottle conditioned, didn't buy any...
What?!!!
orlando wrote:...which I'm beginning to regret, but it has got me wondering about what yeast strain is in there, do you know?...
Hells yeah, you regret it. Orlando, my man, if and when you find a bottle-conditioned dark mild for sale, YOU BUY IT and ask questions later! :) Seriously, though, I don't know for sure, but it seems I've read Thwaites bottle-conditions with their primary strain, which should obviously be a good one. Certainly worth experimenting with part of your next batch or something.
6470zzy wrote:Julius Echter I have re-cultured from in the past and also I know that Samuel Smith's Stingo is bottle conditioned and available this time of year...
Good info, thanks. Do you know if they use the primary fermentation strain in the bottles?

orlando

Post by orlando » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:37 am

Well you've embarrassed me now :oops: . What's worse is you are of course right. However, the up side is it is close by so I can make amends, particularly as I now have all I need for serious yeast ranching with the exception of a induction hob friendly pressure cooker that can take a 2l flask, any one know where I can get one?

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:45 am

robbarwell wrote:Just bought 2 bottles of Brakspear Tripple, it is deffo bottled conditioned and I picked the two bottles with the most crud on the bottom.

For the record they have these on offer £3 for 2. Ive heard that its burton ale yeast like WLP023
I'd agree its a nice yeast, although I got the White Labs version and didnt reculture from a bottle of Brakspear...

Which Thwaites beers are bottle conditioned?

I love the taste of their cask ales, which seem to have a common flavour I had put down to yeast (?)

Bottled Wainwrights Ale doesnt appear to be bottle conditioned and is the only Thwaites bottled beer avaialble on 'the Island'... :(

I do make a few trips to the NorthWest so I'll keep me eyes peeled if anyone can give me pointers...

I know their 'Barley Wine' (Old Dan?) type ale is BC but I didn't want to capture that as its such High gravity I suspected any subsequent brews wouldn't be true to style for the yeast ( possible mutation?)

Alternatively is Thwaites avaialable from Wyeast or White labs?

I suspect some micros use the yeast too, but are not sure which ones (and if they would be willing to part with any?)...

Cheers!

Guy

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:15 pm

Lately I've been drinking a bit of Shepherd Neame 1698, which I find absolutely gorgeous. It has a real Chocolaty taste to it. I'm wondering if that's due to the yeast or additions or chocolate malt, or a combination of both. Either way some info on the yeast strain would be good.

Anyone know anything about this marvelous brew?
Best wishes

Dave

orlando

Post by orlando » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:52 am

Manx Guy wrote:
robbarwell wrote:Just bought 2 bottles of Brakspear Tripple, it is deffo bottled conditioned and I picked the two bottles with the most crud on the bottom.

I'd agree its a nice yeast, although I got the White Labs version and didnt reculture from a bottle of Brakspear...

Which Thwaites beers are bottle conditioned?

I love the taste of their cask ales, which seem to have a common flavour I had put down to yeast (?)

Bottled Wainwrights Ale doesnt appear to be bottle conditioned and is the only Thwaites bottled beer avaialble on 'the Island'... :(

I do make a few trips to the NorthWest so I'll keep me eyes peeled if anyone can give me pointers...

I know their 'Barley Wine' (Old Dan?) type ale is BC but I didn't want to capture that as its such High gravity I suspected any subsequent brews wouldn't be true to style for the yeast ( possible mutation?)

Alternatively is Thwaites avaialable from Wyeast or White labs?

I suspect some micros use the yeast too, but are not sure which ones (and if they would be willing to part with any?)...

Cheers!

Guy
I did mention Thwaites Nutty Black earlier in the thread, that's bottle conditioned.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:16 pm

Thanks Orlando!

I must pay closer attention...
I will keep an eye out for nutty black next time I am 'across'...

:)
One other thing thy got me thinking is st Austell brew a cornish IPA for M&S (I was bought some along with what appears to be batemans XXXB and another beerby batemans called mocha£
I wonder if it contains st Austell primary strain?

Any one tried recultering it?
Cheers!

Guy