Safbrew F2

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Safbrew F2

Post by 6470zzy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:19 pm

molehill wrote: I followed their website advice on yeast preparation, mixing 200 gms of sugar in 20 gms of yeast and pitched as recommended. #-o
Not to beat an already dead horse but what I was getting at is that you shouldn't add the sugar to the dry yeast when rehydrating it. You end up killing off a good portion of the yeast by doing so due to osmotic shock.

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:39 pm

"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

RobP

Post by RobP » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:21 pm

The info sheet says 2 to 7g per hectolitre (100 litres) but it comes in a 20g sachet. Hmmm.
I don't particularly want to dose a huge amount of yeast so I thought I'd just use 2g (0.07g per litre x 20 litres = 1.4g, rounded up). Anyone predict any pitfalls with this?

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:10 pm

RobP wrote:The info sheet says 2 to 7g per hectolitre (100 litres) but it comes in a 20g sachet. Hmmm.
I don't particularly want to dose a huge amount of yeast so I thought I'd just use 2g (0.07g per litre x 20 litres = 1.4g, rounded up). Anyone predict any pitfalls with this?
I presume you're only using this for bottle refermentation, and not primary fermentation?

If so then your plan is sound.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

RobP

Post by RobP » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:56 pm

Jocky wrote:
RobP wrote:The info sheet says 2 to 7g per hectolitre (100 litres) but it comes in a 20g sachet. Hmmm.
I presume you're only using this for bottle refermentation, and not primary fermentation?

If so then your plan is sound.
Yes!
Thank you!

RobP

Post by RobP » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Well, did that. Still a little more yeast at the bottom of the bottle than I'd ideally like (though it hasn't totally settled and might compact a bit) so I'm very glad I didn't use the whole packet :D

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:10 am

Unless you've long aged a beer (>6 months), or it is mega strength (10%+) it's likely there's plenty enough yeast still in the beer to get it carbonated. With a new food source and exposure to air from bottling they'll multiply a bit too.

Carbonation only needs 100,000 cells per ml of beer, and Belgian breweries tend to aim for about the 300k mark. You can have visibly crystal clear beer with 1 million cells per ml.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:02 am

This is how much yeast is needed to condition beer. Just the slight film that you can see on the bottom of this upturned bottle.

URL=http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/Lastf ... 4.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

RobP

Post by RobP » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:44 pm

Jocky wrote:Unless you've long aged a beer (>6 months), or it is mega strength (10%+) it's likely there's plenty enough yeast still in the beer to get it carbonated. With a new food source and exposure to air from bottling they'll multiply a bit too.

Carbonation only needs 100,000 cells per ml of beer, and Belgian breweries tend to aim for about the 300k mark. You can have visibly crystal clear beer with 1 million cells per ml.
Originally used Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Lager yeast. Fermented beer for four weeks at 8c, kept it at 2c for a week and racked, lagered another 8 weeks at 2c. I thought I'd seed with another yeast after that.