Safbrew F2

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Otters

Safbrew F2

Post by Otters » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Hi Has anyone used Safbrew F2?

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Safbrew F2

Post by Pinto » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:04 pm

Safbrew F2 is a bottling strain designed for bottle conditioning, and is designed for minimal yeast character; sounds like a super-Nottingham. What do you plan to do with it ? I guess it would work ok if you planned to use it for a hop showcasing neutral ale base.
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

Otters

Post by Otters » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:46 am

was planning to use as my stock yeast for all brewing activities. all my beer ends up in bottles.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:15 pm

Well, you can but try it. When I say bottling strain, I mean it's a secondary yeast added at the bottling stage (where the original fermentation strain has been removed completely by filtering in a previous stage) so bottle conditioning can occur

Let us know how it turns out :)
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...

Otters

Post by Otters » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:07 am

Thanks for the info TBH i'm looking at another post discussing brewers favorite liquid yeast? Really serious about purchasing London II ESB yeast and splitting the pack.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:09 pm

If you fancy a bit of yeast propogation, buy yourself a few bottles of Fuller's 1845 or Bengal Lancer and use the dregs in a starter; some of the best london yeasts available :)

molehill

Post by molehill » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:37 pm

I hope I haven't boobed here? I did a brew last weekend, using a Safbrew F2 as my fermentation yeast. I followed their website advice on yeast preparation, mixing 200 gms of sugar in 20 gms of yeast and pitched as recommended. #-o

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:39 pm

I doubt it - just means it'll be a bland, featureless yeast - which wont be a problem if youve used a good dose of hoppage

Adding sugar the rehydrate should have made you think a little tho lol - not exactly normal proceedure unless the wort had little or none of its own...:lol:

molehill

Post by molehill » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:26 pm

Actually it did ring a few bells .... lol! I was not switched on during this one. So many things felt" "not right".... I guess it started when I had a couple of Brewlab Sussex slants arrive in the post on Saturday (day before my brew) and I thought perfect, then realised they needed at least 24 - 48 preparation on the Sunday morning, two hours before required, so reached for my last pack of dry yeast, which was the Safbrew F2, which I had never used before...... seems like it was "out of the frying pan and into the fire"!

Still so much to learn, my 14th brew, the last five gone really well, now a step back. Yeast slants are new to me, my last brew was my first using a live yeast on my own version of a mild and I so much wanted to get into using Brewlabs Sussex 1 (Harvey's supposed yeast) and build up a stock for the next 6 months or so. I miss Harvey's beers since moving to the Midlands in 2005! :lol:

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:17 pm

I think the jury is still out on this one - this F2 yeast is new to me and who knows, could turn out to be a little hero !

molehill

Post by molehill » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Just to update on my using Safbrew as a brewing yeast..... Big Boob! I am about to dump 40 bottles! Turned out clear and carbonated but finished loose at bottom of bottle (the same happened in the fermenter! Very gassy and taste was worse than my very first brew. #-o Certainly not a 'Little Hero' for me..... But a Big Disaster!

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:00 pm

Given the totally neutral character of the yeast, I dont think it's the cause of your taste woes - and oddly enough, fermentis say it should set like concrete in a bottle condition situation ??

Shame, I was thinking of using this in my Samichlaus brew to bring the OG from the 1.150's to something the WLP885 wont struggle so much to finish. More research is required.

molehill

Post by molehill » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:41 pm

Yes is probably does set like concrete in the bottom of the bottle, but I think it was designed to go in the bottling bucket for conditioning not fermenting a 25lt wort!

This has caused me to change my whole yeast approach and have moved onto using slants and stepping them up. I have made my own stir plate and did my first stepping up from a brewlab slant earlier this week and this will be used to fire up my own mild recipe tomorrow. Now I have all the necessary equipment, I plan to make my own slants in future. :D

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:47 pm

molehill wrote:I hope I haven't boobed here? I did a brew last weekend, using a Safbrew F2 as my fermentation yeast. I followed their website advice on yeast preparation, mixing 200 gms of sugar in 20 gms of yeast and pitched as recommended. #-o
rehydration
Safbrew F-2 should not be rehydrated directly in the beer.
Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water at a temperature of 27°C ± 3°C (80°F ± 6°F).
Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes. Gently stir.

Those are the directions for the yeast rehydration from the website. Sorry to hear that you had to drain pour your whole FV, not something that I have ever had to do mind you :^o :oops:

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

molehill

Post by molehill » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:46 pm

In the past I had been using Nottingham dry yeast but was looking for something different to try. I did follow the instructions to the letter and I know my preparation was spot on. It is my fault for assuming Safbrew F2 was a brewing yeast. :cry: